Vendhaya Kuzhambu Recipe – South Indian kuzhambu
Vendhaya Kuzhambu Recipe also called Venthaya kulambu / Fenugreek Seeds Gravy / Methi seeds Curry is a traditional and authentic south Indian kuzhambu recipe prepared with fenugreek seeds. This is my mom’s signature kuzhambu recipe and it looks tempting and heavenly in taste with hot steamed rice and ghee. This vendhaya kuzhambu has lot of medicinal properties, good for diabetic patients as it controls the blood sugar level in blood.
To make vendhaya Kuzhambu Recipe – This is very similiar to puli kulambu preparation, except the addition of roasted fenugreek seeds. Make sure to add lot of small onions and garlic, that makes the vendhaya kuzhambu more tasty and lip smacking
This simply delicious vendhaya kuzhambu goes well with hot steamed rice, papad and keerai kootu..
How to Make Vendhaya Kuzhambu Recipe
Preparation Time : 15 mins Cooking Time : 20 Mins Serves : 4
Ingredients For Vendhaya Kuzhambu Recipe
- 2 Tsp of Fenugreek Seeds (Roast and grind)
- 2 Handful of Small Onions(Shallots)
- 12 Garlic Cloves
- 2 Medium Size Tomatoes
- Gooseberry Size of Tamarind
- 2 Tsp of Sambar Powder
- Salt as required
- 1 Tbsp of Gingelly Oil
- 1 Tsp of Mustard Seeds
- 1 Tsp of Urad Dal
- Handful of Curry Leaves
- 1/4 Tsp of Asafoetida (Hing)
- 1 Red Chilly
- Heat a pan, dry roast the fenugreek till it changes brown colour and aroma comes. (Don’t burn the fenugreek). Let it cool down and grind it to a powder.
- Soak the tamarind in hot water for 15 mins.
- Heat a pan with oil, when it is hot, add all the ingredients listed under ” To Temper “.
- Add onion, garlic, saute them until it changes colour and soft. Add tomato, fry them until it turns soft and mushy.
- Add sambhar powder, stir for a min, add tamarind water, cook it for 10 mins with occasional stirring and wait until it reaches thick consistency.
- Add powdered fenugreek, cook it for another 5-10 mins. Finally, add a pinch of jaggery and turn off the flame.
- Hot, tempting vendhaya kuzhambu is ready to serve with rice and keerai kootu
- Shallots can be replaced by big onions.
- Jaggery is added to reduce the bitter taste of fenugreek.
- You can add grated coconut to this kuzhambu.
- Gingelly oil adds a nice taste to this gravy.
- Do not burn the fenugreek seeds while roasting.
- If you don’t have sambar powder, instead add 2 tsp of coriander powder, 1 tsp of red chilly powder and 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder.
Tags : kuzhambu Recipe, Vendhaya kuzhambu, venthaya kuzhambu recipe, vendhaya kuzhambu recipe, how to make vendhaya kuzhambu, how to prepare venthaya kulambu, how to make fenugreek seeds gravy, methi seeds curry, south Indian kuzhambu recipe, tamilnadu kulambu recipes.