Manathakkali are called Black Night Shade in English. This plant has lots of health benefits. Manathakkali Kuzhambu recipe is spicy and tangy south Indian kuzhambu recipe. I have used fresh berries (manathakkali kai), you can substitute it with vathal like sunda vathal, manathakali vathal or shallots (small onions). I am in chennai and koyambedu market is just 10 mins from my home, last week I went there with my brother and bought some veggies and fresh manathakali berries out there. My mom made this manathakkali kuzhambu for me, just loved it with rice and kootu for lunch yesterday with dollop of ghee on top..Manathakkali kai kara kulambu goes well with rice, sutta appalam and kootu as side dish. So do try this manathakali kuzhambu recipe for lunch and let me know how it turned out.
Health Benefits of Manathakkali (Black Night Shade Berries)
- Treats mouth and stomach ulcers and tuberclosis.
- Cures liver disorders and skin ailments.
- Decoction of flowers and berries cures cold and cough.
How to make Manathakkali Kai Kulambu Recipe
Preparation Time : 10 mins
Cooking Time : 25 Mins
Serves : 4
- 1.5 Cups of Manathakkali Kai / Fresh night shade berries
- 2 Handful of Small Onions (Shallots)
- 2 Medium Size Tomatoes
- 12 Garlic Cloves
- 4 Tsp of Sambhar Powder
- Lemon Size Tamarind
- Salt to taste
- Water as needed
- 2 Tbsp of Gingelly Oil
- 1 Tsp of Mustard
- 1 Tsp of Urad Dal
- Pinch of Asafoetida (Hing)
- 7-10 Curry Leaves
- Soak tamarind in hot water for 1/2 hour and extract the juice and make 2 cups out of extract.
- Heat a pan, add all the ingredients listed under ” To Temper ” in the same order.
- Add onion and garlic, sauté this until it changes colour. Add chopped tomatoes, fry this until it turns soft and mushy .
- Add manathakkali and sambhar powder, saute this for a min in a medium flame, immediately add tamarind water, salt and turmeric powder. Allow it to boil for 15 mins in a low flame until it turns thick in consistency. Turn off the flame.
- Hot, tangy and yummy manathakali kai kulambhu is ready to serve with rice, kootu and appalam.
- You can replace with sunda vathal or manathakkali vathal or mochai.
- It stays good for 2 days.
- You can add few jaggery pieces at the end, this will enhance the taste of kulambu.
Technorati : vatha kulambhu, vatha kuzhambu recipe, fresh manathakkali kuzhambhu recipe, manathakkali vatha kulambhu, vathal kulambhu brahmin style, manathakkali kai kara kulambu recipe, manathakkali vathal kuzhambu iyer style, kulambhu recipe, kara kuzhambhu recipes, how to make vathal kulambhu, how to make manathakklai kara kulambu, easy vathal kulambhu recipe, how to prepare vathal kuzhambhu,by