Vendhaya Idli / Fenugreek Idli Recipe
Vendhaya Idli Recipe / Fenugreek idli / Methi idly recipe is simple and easy to make south Indian breakfast dish. Some people might think that adding fenugreek would make idly tastes bitter…but that is not true, it makes the idly soft and tasty, you don’t taste the bitterness. I got this recipe from my amma and this idly recipe is without urad dal, also diabetic friendly idly dish. Those who are allergic to dal, can have this vendhaya idli for breakfast or dinner. Best accompaniment for this vendayam idly are sambar, tomato chutney or idly podi. Making vendhaya idli once in a week, keeps our body cool, healthy and fresh.
- Preparation Time : 10 hrs
- Cooking Time : 10 Mins
- Serves : 4 people
- 3 Cups of Idly Rice
- 3 Tsp of Fenugreek
- Salt as required
- Soak the fenugreek in water for 4 hrs. Soak the idly rice in water for 2 hrs.
- In grinder, first grind the fenugreek and add water little by little. Grind the fenugreek until you get soft and fluffy batter. Make sure the fenugreek batter looks similar to urad dal batter. Remove and transfer it to a bowl.
- Grind the rice separately and transfer the batter to the same bowl. Mix both the batter with hand along with salt. Let it ferment for overnight.
- The next day, mix the batter with laddle before making idly. Pour the batter in idly plate and steam it for 10 mins. you can wet the hand and dip the index finger to check if it is cooked. If it is sticky, steam it for another 2 mins.
- Hot, soft fenugreek idly is ready to serve with coconut chutney or onion tomato chutney or peanut chutney.
- Always soak fenugreek and rice separately because the bitterness which gets imparted with rice makes idly bitter.
- Use your hand for mixing for better fermentation.
- For best result of batter, use wet grinder rather than mixie.
Health Benefits of Fenugreek
- 26.2 gram of protein in 100 grams of fenugreek.
- Cure arthritis, skin problems and improve digestion.
- Treat diabetes and lowers blood sugar level.
- Ease child birth for pregnant women.
- Aid milk production in lactating women.