Idly, sambhar and filter kappi(coffee) is Tamilnadu’s traditional healthy breakfast recipe as rice and dal in idly and dal in sambar makes a complete protein. This tiffin sambar is a perfect side dish for idly and dosa. You can make this sambar without vegetables or with any vegetables like yellow pumpkin, potatoes(urulaikilangu sambar), shallots(vengaya sambar), brinjal or drumsticks. Addition of ghee and sambar powder make this sambhar more flavorful and aromatic. Every week I used to make this sambhar for idly. The hot idly and sambhar combination is just heavenly in taste. Do try this sambar without tamarind for idly dosa and let me know how it turned out.
1/2 Cup of Moong Dal
1/2 Tsp of Turmeric Powder
2 Big Carrots,Chopped
Salt to taste
1/2 Tsp of Sesame Oil
2 Cups of Water
2 Tsp of Sesame Oil
1 Tsp of Mustard Seeds
1 Tsp of Urad Dal
1/2 Tsp of Fenugreek
Pinch of Hing (Asafoetida)
1 Sprig of Curry Leaves
1 Red Onion, Chopped
2 Red Chilies
2 Green Chilies, Slit
1 Tsp of Sambhar Powder
1 Tsp of Sugar
2 Tbsp of Chopped Cilantro (Coriander Leaves)
1 Tsp of Ghee
- Wash and chop the carrots, onion, tomato and slit the green chilies.
- Soak the dal for 30 mins, wash and drain the water.
- In a pressure cooker, add dal, chopped carrots, tomatoes, turmeric powder, salt, oil and water. Close the lid and pressure cook this for 3 whistles and turn off the flame.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard, urad dal, red chilies, fenugreek, asafoetida and curry leaves, after it splutters, add chopped red onion, slited green chilies, fry this until it turns transparent. In a medium flame, add sambhar powder, give a quick stir. Now transfer the dal to the pan, add little water, mix well, bring it to a rolling boil, add sugar, mix well, boil for 2 mins and turn off the stove. Finally add ghee and chopped coriander leaves.
- Perfect side dish for idly and dosa.
- You can use any vegetables like potato or pumpkin or brinjal or drumstick or small onion.
- You can also use toor dal in place of moong dal.
- Use sesame oil for this sambar.
- Adjust the amount of spiciness according to your taste.
Health Benefits of Moong Dal
- They are high in fiber and protein, and low in fat. Eating lentils and other foods that are rich in soluble dietary fiber can help decrease high cholesterol.
- This dal is very good for pregnant ladies, kids and older people as it is easily digestible.
Tempting Idly and sambar
Perfect side dish for idli. Love the way you explained and your presentation.
perfect combo always
Idli and sambar is always the best combo.. Yummy and healthy sambar.. I can eat 2 more idli with sambar..
Lovely and delicious. We indulge in sambar always and I am admiring your version. Certainly worth the try and will let you know the outcome.
Yummy sambar .I have been looking for a recipe without tamarind.
Which sambar powder do u use Gayathri ?
Meena, here I used home made sambar powder….check the link for sambar powder recipe
You can also use store bought sambar powder…
Lovely sambar. I too make the same way 🙂
Thanks Gayathri just checked the link wow u add mustard and bengal gram for sambar powder I should give this a try.
You should definitely try Meena…very flavorful powder…you can use this powder for multipurpose like stir fries, kulambu, sambar, gravy and curries….
Delicious sambar..I have not tried tiffin sambar with veggies…use only small onions and tomatoes..will try this version
this sambar looks easy and yum… bookmarked!!!
That looks so tempting…haven’t had idly sambar for a long time
A delicious and comforting meal!
I too prepare tiffin Sambhar often. Love your version.
Thanks for sharing. .
Can have two more idlies with this fingerlicking sambar.
Love this tiffin sambar , delicious…
mouthwatering sambar…. I love the idly sambar filter kappi combo … makes a perfect breakfast
Yummy idli sambar!
Wow sambar looks yum! I too love the tiffin sambar but somehow never get it right. Will try yours sometime soon… Thanks for the recipe Gayathri!
Sambar with idli is a perfect combo in breakfast. Sambar looks yumm.
“My Monthly Event – Spotlight: Festive Treats “
never cooked..vl do one day..so so so delicious.
Beautiful clicks, even i make it the same way.
My comfort food.. Easy, quick and tasty sambar.. Looks yummy Gayathri 🙂
Love those smooth Idlies behind yummmmy sambar!! lovely clicks dear!
Gayathri,I came again to tell you that I made this sambar today and it tasted realllyyy good, followed the recipe almost to dot..Brought back a lot of Chennai memories…
Thank you for sharing the secret ingredients in the sambar powder :))
Please keep such recipes coming.
Sorry for late reply…glad to hear that you liked it…Thank you so much for trying and your lovely words
Comments are closed.