Easy Puttu Recipe (kerala style)
Puttu is a famous breakfast dish, popular in Kerala, Tamilnadu and sri lanka which is made by steaming rice flour in puttu maker. Puttu recipe is healthy and delicious breakfast dish. This puttu powder I used here is made with red rice flour and wheat.. There are lot of readymade puttu products like white rice pottu podi, chemba potu podi , ragi puttu podi are available in all departmental stores like Nilgiris. We usually make puttu with rice flour, this time I tried puttu with chemba puttu flour which is more healthier because of its fibre content. Here I used nirapara chemba puttu flour.
To make easy puttu recipe at home, the secret lies on the moisture content of the flour. Ingredients needed are red rice flour, coconut, water and salt. To make soft puttu, you need puttu maker. I learnt this kerala style puttu recipe from my mom. and I love to eat puttu for weekend breakfast. But my favourite is sweet version of puttu, where I use jaggery, cardamom and steamed puttu and eat that for breakfast or for evening snack. I will post the sweet easy puttu recipe in the future.
Since puttu tastes bland on its own, so always serve puttu with kadala curry or cherupayar (green gram curry), papad and banana is the another combo to serve puttu. Let us learn how to make authentic kerala style – easy puttu recipe.
How to make Soft Red Rice Puttu Recipe / Sivappuarisi Puttu
Preparation Time : 10 mins Cooking Time : 10 mins Serves : 3
Ingredients for Easy puttu recipe (kerala style)
- 2 Cups of Chemba Puttu Flour (sigappuarisi maavu)
- 1 Cup of Grated Coconut
- Warm Water as required (approximately 3/4 cup)
- Salt as needed
Method To Make Easy Puttu Recipe (kerala style)
- In a bowl, add red rice flour with required salt. Sprinkle water little by little and mix gently until you get crumble texture and moist. There should not be any lumps. Use mixie and blend it for 5 secs. Keep it aside for 10 mins.
How to fill puttu maker
- Take the puttu maker (puttu kuzhal), grease it with oil. Layer the puttu kuzhai, place the perforated lid first, then add 3 tbsp of grated coconut, then add 2 fistful of puttu maavu until the mould is halfway filled. Then again add another layer of grated coconut and fill up the rest with flour. Close the mould with a lid.
- Now fill the pressure cooker with water and close it with a lid. Place the mould on top of the pressure cooker. Steam it for 10-12 mins. After you get a nice aroma of steamed puttu, switch off and wait for 3-5 mins.
- Hold the puttu mould parallel to the serving plate. With the help of long thin metal rod, push the bottom disc so that puttu slides down the plate.
- Serve hot with kadala curry or green gram curry, papad and banana.
- If you don’t have time to make side dish, just add ghee, sugar and banana.
- If you take the flour in your hand and press it, it should hold shape and when you put it back, it should fall loosely. That is a right consistency of puttu flour.
- You can make puttu with homemade rice puttu flour or storebought puttu flour. If you are using homemade puttu flour, roast the flour before making puttu.
- You can follow the same method to make any kind of puttu like wheat puttu, ragi puttu, corn puttu or rice puttu. At home, we use nirapara pottu podi.
- If you don’t have puttu maker at home, steam it in idly maker or use coconut shell that easily fits to pressure cooker.
- Don’t add water at once while mixing the flour.
- Consistency should be crumble and should have a good moisture content. Don’t add to much of water while mixing.
Tags : puttu recipe, puttu, kerala style puttu, easy puttu recipe kerala style, srilankastyleputtu, puttu recipe with rice flour, puttu recipe with red rice flour, red riceflourputtu, sigappuarisiputtu, how to make puttu, how to make kerala puttu recipe, make red rice puttu, prepare sigaparisi puttu, traditional puttu recipe ,kerala rice puttu, steamed rice cake, make soft puttu, puttu recipe tamil, puttu with kadala curry, prepare soft puttu recipe, authentic keralabreakfast recipes, puttu recipe with chemba rice podi