Appam Recipe / Appam without yeast is a traditional breakfast dish in Kerala and Tamilnadu. There are many types of appam. This recipe is called Vella Appam. The main ingredients in appam recipe without yeast is rice and dal. I learnt this recipe from my mom. is my favourite dish for breakfast and we used to eat this appam once in a week. Appam can be served with coconut milk, kurma, kadala curry and Veggie Stew.
Ingredients for Appam Recipe
- 1 Cup of Raw Rice
- 1 Cup of Boiled Rice
- 1/2 Cup of Urad Dal
- 2 Tbsp of Fenugreek
- Pinch of Baking Soda
- Salt and Water as needed
- Soak raw and boiled rice together in one vessel, urad dal and fenugreek together in another vessel for overnight.
- Grind urad dal, fenugreek, raw and boiled rice until you get smooth batter, if you find batter is thick, add enough water so that everything gets smooth.
- This would take 1/2 hr to 1 hr. Once it done, add salt to the batter and mix well. Leave this batter on counter for overnight fermentation.
- When you are ready to make appam, most important part is add a pinch of baking soda to your batter and mix well.
- If your appam batter is thick add some water and make the batter watery.
- Heat a pan (Appam Kadai) Apply some oil in it. Take 2 laddleful of batter and pour it in the middle. Immediately rotate the pan in clockwise and anti-clockwise so that the batter evenly coat all the sides of a pan and appear in cup shape. Cover it with a lid. Keep the stove in medium flame and wait for 2 mins. If you keep it for 2 more mins, your appam will be in reddish brown colour and crispy.
Appam is ready, serve it hot with coconut milk or veggie korma.
You can see “veggie korma recipe” in my blog.
|Coconut Milk and Veggie Korma|
View my video on “Making of Appam”
- Soak dal and rice for 5 hrs, if you forget to keep it for overnight.
- Add yeast if you are in cold countries where batter cannot ferment even if you keep batter outside for long time.
- Don’t add too much of baking soda it makes appam struck to the pan.