Easy Chettinad Poondu Kuzhambu Recipe / Garlic Kulambu
Easy Chettinad Poondu Kuzhambu Recipe / Garlic kulambu is a spicy and tangy south Indian authentic kuzhambu recipe made with garlic, tamarind & other flavorful spices. I love all kinds of kuzhambu variety whether it is paruppu urundai kuzhambu or manathakali kuzhambu or mor kuzhambu or mushroom kuzhambu, I can have it everyday with rice. After reading, now you know how much I love puli kulambu ?? While making this garlic kulambu, make sure you add lot of small onions and garlic cloves, that makes the poondu kuzhambu more tasty and lip smacking. Garlic are very good for health as it contains lot of antioxidants, lowers cholesterol and blood pressure so try to include more garlic in your diet. This Chettinad Poondu Kuzhambu goes well with hot steamed white rice & kootu.
Easy Chettinad Poondu Kuzhambu Recipe
- To roast and grind
- 2 tsp of oil
- ¼ tsp of fenugreek seeds
- 2 tsp of black peppercorns
- 16 garlic cloves
- curry leaves (handful)
- 1 onion
- 1 tomato (big)
- 1.5 tbsp of coconut (grated)
- Salt to taste
- Other ingredients
- 3 tsp of coriander powder
- ½ tsp of red chilly powder
- ½ tsp of turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp of jaggery
- Gooseberry size tamarind
- To temper
- 3 Tsp of gingelly oil
- 1 red chilly
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal
- Few curry leaves
- Pinch of asafoetida
- 5 garlic cloves
- 5 small onions
- Heat a pan, add all “to roast and grind” ingredients, fry till it changes colour and aroma comes out. Transfer this to a plate and allow it to cool.
- After that, transfer all the ingredients to a blender (mixie), grind it to a smooth paste along with water.
- Soak the tamarind in water for 10 mins. Squeeze out the juice from it and keep it aside.
- Heat a pan with oil, add red chilly, mustard, urad dal, curry leaves and asafoetida after mustard seeds pops out, add garlic and small onions, fry till it changes to golden colour.
- Add coriander powder, red chilly powder, turmeric powder. Saute this for another one min.
- Add ground paste to the masala, fry this for a min.
- Add tamarind juice and salt to it, allow it boil for 10 mins until raw smell goes off.
- Finally add jaggery, mix well. Cook it for another 2 mins and turn it off.
- Yummy chettinad style kulambu is ready to eat with white rice and ghee.
If you don’t like jaggery, add sugar. Adding jaggery or sugar balances all the flavors and you will get tasty kuzhambu.