Bittergourd Masala Rice Recipe / Pavakkai Sadham / Bittergourd Recipe
Bittergourd masala rice recipe / Pavakkai Sadham / Karela Rice is a simple and tasty one pot meal that can made very quickly. This rice is very flavorful because of spices added to it like coriander seeds, clove, cinnamon, cardamom, bengal gram, urad dal and red chilies. I love bittergourd so nowdays am trying lot of recipes with bittergourd. Bittergourd are very good for our health and it cures and prevents lot of diseases like respiratory disorders, cancer, diabetes, constipation, kidney diseases and heart diseases. Try to include bittergourd twice a month to stay healthy. If you are a bittergourd fan like me 😛 , you will love this rice for sure. You can also make this pavakkai sadham to pack for lunch box. Serve this bittergourd rice with appalam and raita.
Also Check my other bittergourd recipes
How to make Bittergourd Masala Rice Recipe
- 1 Cup of Cooked Basmati Rice
- 2 Bittergourds, Finely Chopped
- 1 Tsp of Oil
- 2 Tsp of Ghee
- 1 Tsp of Mustard Seeds
- 1 Tsp of Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- Pinch of Asafoetida (Hing)
- Few Curry Leaves
- ⅛ Tsp of Turmeric Powder
- ½ Onion, Finely Chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves, Finely Chopped
- Pinch of Sugar or Jaggery
- Salt to taste
- 1.5 Tsp of Lemon Juice or to taste
- To Roast and grind
- 2 Tsp of Coriander Seeds
- 2 Tsp of Chenna Dal (Bengal Gram)
- 2 Tsp of Urad Dal
- 3 Red Chilies
- 2 Tsp of Coconut (grated)
- 1 Clove
- 1 Cinnamon (medium)
- 1 Cardamom
- 5 Cashews
- Heat a pan, dry roast all the ingredients listed under ” to roast ” until it turns golden brown. Cool it and grind it to a fine powder.
- Heat a pan with oil and ghee, add mustard seeds, cumin, curry leaves and asafoetida, after it pops up, add onion and garlic, fry well until it turns golden brown.
- Add bittergourd pieces and salt, fry well until it get cooked.
- Add ground masala powder and turmeric powder, fry well with bittergourd, add little water, sugar and enough salt, mix well. Turn off the stove.
- Add cooked rice, little oil and lemon juice, gently mix it with fork.
- Hot, yummy bittergourd masala rice is ready.
Add chopped peanuts in the end while mixing.(optional)
Adding ghee gives a nice taste.
Do not break the rice while mixing
Tags: bittergourd rice, bittergourd masala rice recipe, pavakkai sadham, karela rice, bittergourd recipes, how to make bittergourd rice at home, prepare bittergourd rice, pavakkai recipes karela recipes, recipes with bittergourd, lunch box rice recipe, office goers lunch box, one pot meal.