Saiva Meen Kuzhambu Recipe / Vazhaipoo Kuzhambu is a south Indian style curry prepared with banana flower and they are cooked with onion, garlic, tamarind juice and other spices. This saiva meen kuzhambu name is very new to me and this was introduced by my cousin brother who is a chef in Coimbatore. He told me about the secret of this recipe and I tried it recently, it was wonderful in taste. I have also heard that this saiva meen kulambu can also be prepared with black eyed peas. I usually make vazhaipoo vadai for mor kulambu or we make vazhaipoo kootu. This is the first time we prepared puli kulambu with vazhaipoo. Only time consuming step in this curry is to clean the vazhaipoo. Try it you will love it with hot steamed white rice and keerai kootu.
Saiva Meen Kuzhambu Recipe / Vazhaipoo Kuzhambu
- 1 Vazhaipoo / Banana Flower (Big)
- To saute and grind
- 2 Tsp of Oil
- 1 Tsp of Cumin
- 1 Tsp of Fennel Seeds
- 2 Handful of Small Onions (20nos)
- 15 Garlic Cloves
- 3 Tomato, Small
- 3 Tsp of Sambar Powder
- ¼ Cup of Coconut Pieces
- To Temper
- 2 Tsp of Gingelly Oil
- 1 Tsp of Mustard Seeds
- 1 Tsp of Urad Dal
- 1 Red Chilly
- Pinch of asafoetida
- Few Curry Leaves
- Other Ingredients
- Oil to deep fry the banana flower florets
- Lemon Size Tamarind
- Salt and water as needed
- How to clean banana flower
- Wash the whole banana flower. Grease your hands with coconut oil to prevent the stains.
- Spread a newspaper and keep the flower.
- Peel the outer purple cover of banana flower and now it turns to white.
- Now open the florets one by one or as clusters by rubbing the tip gently. Just pull out the stigma from the center and the white plastic sheath.
- After you peel off the whole blossom, you can find the tender blossom at the end. You can eat it raw as such, they are good for uterus.
- Vazhaipoo florets are ready to use.
- Heat a pan with oil and deep fry the vazhaipoo florets and keep it aside.
- To Prepare curry (kuzhambu)
- Heat a pan with oil, when it is hot add cumin, fennel seeds, small onions, garlic saute it well till it turns golden brown.
- Add tomato, sambhar powder, salt and coconut, fry this for few mins. Cool this mixture and grind it to a smooth paste.
- Heat a pan with oil, add mustard seeds, urad dal, curry leaves, asafoetida and red chilly after it pops up. Add ground paste, salt and tamarind water cook it until it turns thick and raw smell goes off.. Finally add fried vazhaipoo florets to it, simmer it and cook for 10-15 mins.
- Vazhaipoo kuzhambu is ready to serve.
If you want little more spicy curry, add extra tsp of sambhar powder.
Banana flower are very good for both men and women health.