This post is very special and I’m really excited to write my 500th post. Thanks for the comments, support and appreciation as I continue travelling in my culinary journey. Thank you everyone 🙂 🙂 To celebrate I made this delicious bombay halwa recipe / karachi halwa recipe is a popular Indian dessert, it is made with corn flour hence it is called corn flour halwa. I wanted to try this bombay halwa recipe for long time somehow missed it. You need only few ingredients to prepare this delicious halwa recipe. Last week, I made this bombay karachi halwa, it was yummy in taste. This halwa is easy to make but you need little patience to make it perfect. I love the glossy texture of halwa, when you bite it, the ghee just burst into your mouth and the nuts gives a nice crunchy taste. You can use any colours to make this karachi halwa, I used kesari orange colour. Now lets move on to the recipe, do try sometime and am sure you will love this halwa.
Check my other halwa recipes
Bombay Halwa Recipe / Karachi Halwa Recipe
- 1 and ½ cups of sugar
- 1 cup of water
- ½ cup of corn flour
- 1 and ½ cups of water
- Pinch of orange colour or red colour
- 7-8Tbsp of ghee
- 20 cashews
- 10 almonds
- 2 cardamom, crushed
- 1 tsp of lemon juice
- In a bowl, add corn flour, 1 and ½ cup of water and orange colour. Mix well, make sure there are no lumps in it and keep it aside.
- Heat a pan, add 1 cup of water and sugar, boil it until all the sugar melts completely. You don't want to look for syrup consistency. Add lemon juice and mix well, keep it aside.
- Heat another pan, add corn flour mixture, stir it in a medium flame. When it starts to turn thick, turn it off.
- Add sugar syrup slowly, only 2 tbsp at a time and mix well. Add another 2 tbsp syrup and mix well. After you mix all the sugar syrup to the corn flour mixture, turn it on.
- In a medium flame, starting adding ghee slowly to halwa and stir it. Add rest of the ghee as well and stir until all ghee are fully absorbed. Stir it continously for 15-20 mins until it leaves the sides of the pan.
- Now you can observe the whole halwa starts to move from one side to the other side of the pan while stirring. In this stage, add all the nuts and cardamom and stir well for another 2-3mins. Now your halwa looks glossy and transparent.
- To check the consistency, take a tsp of halwa and place it in a clean plate, use your hand (caution it will be super hot) and start rolling it, it will come out like ball. Now turn off the stove. Transfer th e halwa to a ghee greased plate or bowl. I used stainless steel tiffin box. Keep it in a room temperature or fridge for half an hour. Using knife, cut into any size or shape as per your wish
- Yummy karachi halwa is ready to serve.
If your halwa is not cooked good, your halwa would be in rubbery in texture..
If your halwa is overcooked, it will be hard in texture.
Add ghee generously so that your halwa tastes good.
Adding lemon juice to syrup to avoid crystallization.