Turnip Greens kootu recipe Indian style is a simple and traditional south Indian dal made from turnip greens and moong dal. Turnip greens are green leafy tops of turnip plant. They are highly nutritious and offers a variety of health benefits like it prevents cancer, diabetes, good for heart, bones and eyes. They are excellent source of antioxidants, vitamin A, K, B6, C and folic acid, minerals like copper, calcium, iron.
On my regular visit to schnucks store in St.Louis, I picked this turnip greens, they were so fresh and vibrant. They are slightly bitter in taste, after cooking with dal, you cannot taste the bitterness. You can make lot of recipes with turnip greens, I usually make stir fry with potatoes or south Indian sambar or salad. I already posted keerai kootu recipe. This kootu recipe suits any greens you have in hand, right from spinach – kale. Lets move on to the recipe.
Turnip Greens Kootu Recipe Indian Style
- 1 Small Bunch of Turnip Greens (Fresh)
- ½ Cup of Moong Dal
- 1 Onion, Chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves, chopped
- 2 Tbsp of Grated Coconut (fresh)
- 1.5 Tsp of Cumin Powder (roasted)
- ½ Tsp of Black Pepper Powder
- ¼ Tsp of Turmeric Powder
- Pinch of Asafoetida
- Salt to taste
- 1 Tsp of Ghee
- To Temper
- 2 Tsp of Coconut Oil
- 1 Tsp of Mustard Seeds
- ½ Tsp of Urad Dal
- 2 Red Chilies
- Few Curry Leaves
- Soak the moong dal in water for 30 mins. Drain the water, wash the dal and keep it aside.
- Wash and roughly chop the greens and dice the stalks.
- Heat the cooker, add dal, water, turmeric powder and salt. Cook it for 3 whistles.
- Heat a pan with oil, temper it with mustard seeds, urad dal, red chilly, curry leaves, asafoetida.
- Add onion and garlic, fry until golden brown.
- In a low flame, add coconut, fry it for a min.
- Add cumin powder, pepper powder, fry for few secs.
- Add greens, saute this till it reduces in size.
- Add cooked dal, mix well, add water if needed, cook it for few mins and finally add ghee, mix it and remove it from heat.
- Serve with hot steamed rice.
Adjust number of red chilies according to your taste.
You can also add 1 green chilly, if you like.
Use any oil for tempering. I love coconut oil for kootu so I used it.