Vegetable Dum Biryani Recipe
Biryani originated in Persia and derived from the farsi word ” Birian “. Dum biryani is a rice based dish made with rice, vegetables and spices. The variety of rice used in biryani dish is long grain rice. In this dish, rice and vegetable gravy are cooked separately and then brought together and layered, cooked on dum (slow heat) resulting in a dish with full of aroma and flavors. Mainly the rice and spices which gives wholesome aroma to the biryani.
1 Cup of Basmati Rice
1 and 1/2 Cup of Water
1 Large Onion, Finely Chopped
1 Medium Size Tomato, Finely Chopped
2 Tsp of Ginger Garlic Paste
3 Green Chillies
1 Big Carrot, Finely Chopped
1/4 Cup of Green Bell Pepper (Capsicum)
1/4 Cup of Mushroom, Finely Chopped
1/4 Cup of Peas
1/4 Cup of Beans
2 Tbsp of Curd / Yogurt
1 Tsp of Coriander Powder
3/4 Tsp of Red Chilly Powder
1 Tsp of Garam Masala
7-10 Mint Leaves
Few Coriander Leaves
Few Cashew Nut, to top
1 Tbsp of French Fried Onion
Salt to taste
2 Tbsp of Oil
2 Tsp of Ghee
1 Cinnamon Stick
1 Bay Leaves
1 Star Anise
For the rice (Stove top method)
- Soak the basmati rice for 1/2 hour.
- In a heavy bottomed pan, add rice and water, bring it to a rolling boil, turn the heat to low. Cover the pan with a lid. Cook it for 10 mins until the rice is tender and water has evaporated. Turn off the heat and fluffy rice is ready.
To make the vegetable curry
- Heat oil and ghee in another pan, add cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, bay leaves and star anise, fry for a min.
- Add ginger garlic paste, green chillies and mint, fry for 1-2 mins until raw smell vanishes.
- Add chopped onion and salt, saute this for 1-2 mins until it turns golden brown color.
- Add chopped tomato, saute this for a min.
- Add all vegetables (carrot, beans, peas, capsicum & mushroom), coriander powder, red chilly powder and garam masala, saute this for 2 mins.
- Add thick curd, mix well with the vegetables. Sprinkle some water and cover the pan with a lid, cook it for 3-4 mins in a medium flame. Check the salt. Once it done, switch off the stove.
Dum the biryani
- Take a heavy bottomed vessel, add 1 tsp of ghee, first layer the white rice on the bottom of a pan. Spread it evenly. Then layer the vegetable curry on top of the rice, spread it evenly.
- Repeat this process with rice and vegetable gravy. Finally sprinkle some cashews, french fried onions, mint and coriander leaves over the rice.
- Now cover the pan tightly and dum (pressurize) it for 15 mins in medium low flame. Mix well all the ingredients and serve hot.
- Serve with onion raita or any gravy of your chioce or potato chips or pickle.
- You can sprinkle saffron + milk to the top of the rice while making dum, gives nice color to the dish.
- You can add chopped potatoes, cauliflowers and panner to this recipe.
- If you want more tangy side, add lemon juice.
- If you don’t get french fried onions, you can also deep fry the onions at home.
- You can make this biryani either in stove top or oven or pressure cooker.
Health Benefits of Vegetables
- Vegetables are home for antioxidants.
- Vegetables are packed with soluble and insoluble fibers.
- They are rich in vitamins and minerals.
- Spices like cinnamom has anti microbial property and controls sugar levels.
- Cardamom good for heart burn and increases blood circulation.
- Cloves good for teeth pain, boosts metabolism and immune system.