Chettinad Seepu Seedai Recipe / Diwali Snacks
Seepu Seedai is a traditional chettinad special snack. Seepu means Comb. This seedai has comb design and hence the name. When I asked this chettinad seepu seedai recipe to my friend (Subbu Lakshmi), she sent me her grandma’s recipe in watsapp. I immediately tried it and it was very tasty and crispy. I have seen this recipe in so many blogs but this is the first time I tried my hands, to my surprise it came out awesome. I really like the coconut milk flavor in it. Making seepu seedai at home is time consuming and you need little patience to make it. Kids will surely enjoy this snack by wearing them on their fingers before the munch it. Try this crunchy snack for coming diwali, share it with your friends and enjoy. Also check other chettinadu recipe – Adhirasam.
How to make chettinad seepu seedai recipe
- 4 Cups of Raw Rice (Maavu Arisi)
- ¾ Cup of Urad Dal, Roast it and powder it
- ½ Cup of Moong Dal, Roast it and powder it
- 1 Small Coconut -Extract the thick coconut milk
- Water and salt as needed
- Rinse the raw rice twice and soak it in a water for 1 hour. Drain the water and spread it in a clean white towel and dry it for 45 mins. It has to be little moist. Now transfer it to a mixie jar and grind it to a fine powder. Sieve it finely.
- Now add grated coconut to a mixie jar and add little water, grind it. Extract the milk and keep it aside.
- Heat a pan, add urad dal till golden brown. Transfer dal to a mixie jar and powder it finely and sieve it. Keep it aside.
- Heat a pan, add moong dal till golden brown. Transfer dal to a mixie jar and powder it finely and sieve it. Keep it aside.
- In a idly pan, steam the flour for 5 mins.
- In a bowl, add rice flour, urad dal powder, moong dal powder and salt. Mix it well. Slightly warm the coconut milk and add little by little to the flour and add little water if needed. Knead it to a smooth dough without cracks.
- Take your murukku press, place the template and fill it with little dough.
- Press it on a plate or paper to a long strips. Cut it into small strips with knife. Roll it around your finger and seal the edges. Repeat the same process for the rest of the dough.
- Heat the oil and when it is hot add seedai and in medium flame, fry it. It will take long time to cook.
- After “ssh” sound stops, take it out and drain it in a paper towel.
- Repeat the same procedure for the rest of the seedai.
- Seepu seedai is ready to serve.
Always use homemade rice flour. Do not use ready made rice flour to make this seedai.
If you get maavu arisi, use that to get crispy seepu seedai.
Sieving is must for all flours (rice flour and dal)
Coconut milk gives a nice taste.
You can also use little butter if you want.
If your dough is little sticky, add some more flour and knead it again.
Always cook the seepu seedai in medium flame. It takes long time to cook.