Homemade Refried Bean Cheese Burrito Recipe (Vegetarian)
Homemade Refried Bean Cheese Burrito Recipe Vegetarian is one of our favorite lunch which I make often at home. They are very easy and quick to make dish if you have cooked beans or canned beans at home with extra little preparations like chopping up a few toppings. Whenever we go for trip during weekends, one drive through I love to eat is Taco bell. I always buy taco bell’s bean burrito or 7 layer burrito with fiesta potatoes for lunch, they were so good and yummy in taste. But I am proud to say that my husband makes best vegetarian Mexican dishes at home. He actually made this bean and cheese burrito for me, I really enjoyed for dinner they are great in flavors, cheesy, filling and delicious 🙂 We always cook Mexican dishes when our friends visit our home.
I have given the recipe for how to cook re-fried beans below. All you need is pinto beans, chipotle chilly, onion, garlic and salt. If you don’t get chipotle chilly thats fine, it actually adds smoky note to the dish. You can find pinto beans in Mexican store in US, if you are in India, you can get them in Nilgiris or replace it with rajma or chickpeas to make vegetarian burrito. If you eat burrito for lunch, add some handful of cooked rice and guacamole that makes you filling. Bean burrito is a perfect lunch box dish and for picnic or get together, to-go just just wrap it with aluminium foil or use sandwich bags.
How to make Homemade Refried Bean Cheese Burrito Recipe (Vegetarian)
- 2 Whole Wheat Tortillas
- 1 Cup of Cooked Re-Fried Beans, Mashed
- ½ Cup of Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Shredded
- ¼ Cup of Salsa (Store-bought or homemade)
- ½ Red Onions, Finely Chopped
- Few Jalapenos, Chopped
- Few Black Olives, Chopped, optional
- Salt to taste
- To make Refried Beans
- 2 Cups of Dried Pinto Beans or use kidney beans (Rajma)
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- ½ Onion (Big)
- 2 Tbsp of Olive Oil
- 1 Chipotle Chilly
- 7 Cups of Water
- 1 Tsp of Salt
- First is the making of refried beans ( frijoles refritos in spanish ). Soak the beans in water for overnight. Cooking from the scratch, mildly seasoned with couple garlic cloves and a piece of onion, salt and pinto beans was fried in oil, then add water and wait for rolling boil temperature. Later this was transferred to cooker and leave it for 10 whistles or if you are using crock pot (slow cooker) and set in high and cook it for 4 hrs. 1 Chipotle chilly can be added for extra smoky spicy kick. Once it done, take the required beans and grind it in blender.
- Heat the pan with little oil, add the ground beans then fry it for 10 mins. Allow it to cool for few mins. Your re-fried beans are ready.
- Place the tortilla on a large microwavable plate. Microwave it for 30 secs to steam the tortillas.
- Spoon the required bean mixture onto center of each tortilla.
- On top of that add salsa, onions, black olives and jalapenos. If you have sour cream or guacamole add that too.
- Sprinkle some cheese on top and fold the two sides of the tortilla and serve immediately with extra salsa, if desired.
- Repeat the same procedure for the rest of the tortilla.
- Homemade refried bean cheese burrito is ready to eat.
If you are using canned beans, just grind it and saute it in oil for few mins then use it. Some canned beans are not cooked well so pressure cook it few whistles before you eat, this is done to avoid stomach disturbances.
You can use any kind of cheese to sprinkle on top.
For some more flavor add sour cream or guacamole, lettuce and green onion.
You can also add rice, if you are going to have burritto for lunch.
Here I used whole wheat tortilla, you can use flour tortilla or corn tortilla or even chapathi.
Tags: bean & cheese burrito recipe, homemade bean cheese burrito recipe vegetarian, homemade refried bean cheese burrito recipe, refried bean burrito recipe, how to make refried bean burrito recipe, bean burrito recipe, burrito recipe, cheese burrito recipe vegetarian