Badhusha is a super flaky popular Indian sweet loved by everyone because of its mild sweetness. This classic dessert is also called BALUSHAHI in northern part of India. It is prepared during festival occasions like diwali and other occasion like wedding. Badhusha is my amma’s favourite sweet. It has got crispy outer covering and flaky, juicy and soft inner part. Five years back, when I first tried donut in US, it tasted almost like badhusha 😛 , same ingredients like all purpose flour, sugar and butter is used so obviously same taste 😆 This post is very special to me, as it was made by my mom (amma) for my blog and the photo was clicked by my sister in law. This is a bite sized mini badhusha. This is my amma’s second guest post. Last year, my mom made a easy diwali sweet recipe, rava kesari for my blog. Mini badhusha recipe is not that difficult sweet, so give it try for coming diwali, you will love it 😛 .
- 1 cup of Maida( All purpose flour)
- ¼ Cup of Curd (yogurt)
- ¼ Cup of Ghee or Butter
- 1 Tsp of Sugar
- Pinch of Baking Soda
- Pinch of Salt
- To make sugar syrup
- ½ cup of Sugar
- Water to immerse the sugar
- 1 Tsp of Lemon Juice
- 2 Pinches of cardamom powder
- In a bowl, add curd, ghee, sugar, salt and soda, mix well with whisk.
- To that, add maida, mix well with hand, add water little by little and make into a smooth dough. Keep it aside for an hour.
- Divide into equally sized small balls out of the dough and gently press it in the middle to form a depression. or you can make decorative ends as swirls.
- Meanwhile, heat oil to deep fry, when it is hot (350 F), add pinch of dough it it rises up immediately then you are good to go, in a medium flame, gently put the badhusha into hot oil and cook both sides until it turns brown colour and shh sounds disappears. Follow the same method for the remaining badhusha.
- To prepare sugar syrup
- Heat a pan with water and sugar, boil it for few mins until you get single strand consistency, add cardamom powder, lemon juice and mix well. Dip well the fried badhusha in sugar syrup on both sides, keep immersed for 2 mins then transfer it to a plate and enjoy.
Do not fry the badhusha in high flame the inside won't get cooked.
Lemon juice is added to prevent crystallization of sugar.
you can double or triple the recipe as you prefer.
You can also add saffron to the sugar syrup, if you like.