Bakery Style Thengai Bun Recipe / How to make Coconut Bun
Time is flying, I can’t believe that my blog FoodyBuddy (My best friend) turned 3 today….Happy Birthday FoodyBuddy 😆 😆 😆
I sincerely thank all my fellow bloggers, friends, foodies, casual visitors, family members and critiques as I progress in this virtual world of blogging …This certainly has enriched my life, added color and has certainly given me something useful to share back with the community . Besides sharing my recipes in 3 years of blogging, I have also learnt a lot in cooking techniques, learned many cuisines and I am trying to improve my food photography and presentation skills too 😛 Finally it is certainly a feeling of joy and satisfaction to learn that the recipes you share is appreciated by folks from the far corners of the world and I do want to thank my husband, my parents and my brother for their constant support and appreciation …In this 3 years of blogging, am almost nearing to 500th post, won prizes and I want to thank kumudham Snegithi and Deccan chronicle for featuring my recipes this year.. Thank you everyone 😛
To enjoy this beautiful day I have posted Bakery style Thengai bun recipe / Coconut bun which is a Indian delicacy that I got introduced to as I grew up in southern India (Coimbatore). This bun is one of my favourite recipes close to my heart and it evokes nostalgic feelings of eating coconut bun in late evenings as dusk sets in . The aroma of coconut bun hot from the bakery makes my mouth salivate and eating fresh, hot bun filled with coconut flakes, sugar, tutti frutti and nuts takes one immediately to a happy place that I still cherish. Coconut bun goes well with tea (black or green) and I just want to share this recipe with everyone as it is very simple to make and also delicious.
Recipe Source: Amuthiskitchen
How to make Bakery style Thengai bun Recipe / Coconut bun picture tutorial
- 1 Cup of All Purpose Flour (maida)
- ¼ Cup of Whole Wheat Flour
- 5 Tsp of Sugar
- 1 Tsp of Instant Yeast (see notes)
- ½ Cup of Warm Milk (see notes)
- 2 Tbsp of Water
- 3 Tsp of Oil
- 2 Tsp of Butter / Ghee
- Pinch of Baking Powder
- For Filling
- ½ Cup of Sweetened Coconut Flakes (see notes)
- 7 Tsp of Sugar
- ½ Cup of Tuttti Frutti (see notes)
- 10 Roasted Cashews
- 2 Pinches of Cardamom Powder
- 3 Tsp of Ghee / Butter
- In a bowl, add all purpose flour, wheat flour, sugar, oil, instant yeast and baking powder. Mix well with a fork.
- Add warm milk, water and butter. Mix well and start kneading to form sticky dough.
- Cover the bowl with a towel and allow it to raise for 45 mins.
- For the stuffing, take a bowl, add coconut flakes, sugar, tutti frutti, cashews, cardamom powder and ghee. Mix everything well. You stuffing is ready.
- Now divide the dough into two equal parts.
- Grease the baking pan with ghee (clarified butter), roll / pat the one part of the dough into 8″ circle and place it into baking pan.
- Spread the stuffing evenly throughout the dough.
- Roll the other part of the dough into 8″ circle and cover the stuffing. Seal the edges completely.
- Allow this for second rise for 30 mins. Meanwhile preheat the oven to 375 F.
- After 30 mins, brush the dough with ghee (butter) and bake it for 25 mins until the crust turns golden brown.
- After you take out the bun from the oven, brush it with ghee and cool it for few mins.
- Cut into desired slices and enjoy.
- Hot, yummy coconut bun is ready to serve with tea.
I used roasted cashews. If it is not available for you. Roast the cashews in ghee and add it to the stuffing.
I used instant yeast, if you don’t have that. You can use any kind of yeast but proofing of yeast is must so add the yeast in warm milk for 5 mins and then add it to the flour.
Tutti frutti adds crunchy taste. If it is not available for you. Add lot of nuts and raisins.
Always add warm milk. Raw milk might kill the yeast.
Do not skip cardamom, as it adds nice flavor to the stuffing.
Tags: thengai bun, thengai bun recipe, bakery style thengai bun recipe, coconut stuffed bun, dilkush bun recipe, coconut stuffed tutti frutti bun, how to make thengai bun at home, how to make coconut bun, coconut stuffed bun, prepare thengai bun, eggless thengai bun, eggless coconut bun, eggless baking, bun recipe, thengai bun seivadhu epadi, thengai bun bakery style, coconut bun bakery style