Easy Kesar Elachi Shrikand Recipe / Sweetened Yogurt with Saffron & Nuts is a rich, creamy Indian style flavored yogurt. It is a popular dessert in Gujarat and Maharastrian cuisine. I love all kinds of milk based Indian sweets, this shrikhand is one of my favorite. The cardamom and saffron adds a wonderful flavors and nuts on top adds a nice crunch to this dessert. To make a shrikhand at home is very simple, you have to use hung / strain the curd using muslin cloth to separate the whey, they are then mixed with sugar, cardamom, saffron. It is kept in the fridge and served chill with nuts and fruits. If you love mango, just blend the mango pulp with shrikhand. They are called Amarkhand. You can serve the shrikhand plain or with poori (puffed Indian bread). Make this easy, no cook dessert for coming janmashtami (krishna jayanthi) and enjoy with your family.
How to make Easy Kesar Shrikand Recipe / Sweetened Yogurt with Saffron & Nuts
- ½ Cup of Thick Hung curd or Greek Yogurt from 1 cup of curd
- 1.5 Tbsp of White Sugar, I used Turbinado Sugar
- 7-10 Saffrons
- 10 Almonds, Finely Chopped
- 3 Cashews, Powdered
- Pinch of Cardamom Powder
- ½ Tbsp of Milk
- Take homemade curd (yogurt) or store bought curd. Always use fresh one, don't use sour curd.
- Put the muslin or cheese cloth over the strainer. Add curd (yogurt) over muslin cloth and allow it to drain for 3 hrs. Place the bowl under the strainer to remove the whey. Use this whey to knead chapathi dough.
- In a mixing bowl, add yogurt (curd), sugar, cardamom powder and powdered cashews. Mix well with whisk until it turns creamy and smooth.
- Add saffron to the hot milk, leave it for 5 mins.
- Add the saffron milk to the yogurt, mix well.
- Finally garnish it with saffron and nuts of your choice like almonds, pistachios.
- Refrigerate it for an hour before serving.
- Creamy, yummy kesar shrikhand is ready to serve.
Adjust the amount of sugar as per to your taste.
Add any nuts of your choice like pistachios or walnuts or almonds.
If you have Greek yogurt, you can use it directly instead of using homemade hung yogurt.
If you don't have saffron, you can skip it and make it plain shrikhand.
Do not use sour curd while making shrikhand.
Tags: shrikhand recipe, easy shrikhand recipe, easy kesar shrikhand recipe, kesar elaichi shrikhand recipe, shrinkhand, elaichi shrikand recipe, how to make shrikhand at home, prepare shrikhand at home, sweetened yougurt with saffron and nuts, saffron flavored yogurt, easy no cook indian dessert, janmashtami recipe 2015, gokulashtamirecipe 2015, krishnajayanthi recipe 2015, diwali milk based sweets 2015