Achari Bhindi Recipe / Pickled Okra Fry is a tasty and classic north Indian dish, goes very well with rice / paratha/ roti. Making achari bhindi is very simple, first shallow fry the okra, then sauté it with onion, tomato, green chilly and curry powder. Finally stir it with readymade pickle. Here I used Ahmed mixed pickle. Usually tempering is done with panchphoran, I didn’t use that instead I added the pickle which has panchphoran so it added the flavor to this dish. So try this flavorful okra stir fry for parath or roti.
How to make achari bhindi recipe at home
Ingredients for Achari Bhindi Recipe
To Shallow Fry
- 250 gms of Okra / bhindi /lady’s finger
- 2 Tbsp of Oil
- 2 Tsp of Oil
- 1/2 Tsp of Mustard seeds
- 1 Tsp of Cumin
- Pinch of Asafoetida
- 1 Red Onion, Sliced
- 1 Green Chilly, Slit
- 4 Garlic Cloves, Crushed
- 2 Tsp of Sambhar Powder / Curry Powder
- Pinch of Garam Masala
- 1 Tomato, Chopped
- 2 Tbsp of Achaar / Pickle ( I used Ahmed Pickle)
- Salt to taste
Method for Achari Bhindi Recipe
- Wash and cut the lady’s finger lengthwise.
- In a shallow pan, add oil, when it is hot, add okra, keep frying till it reduces in size and cooked. Keep it aside.
- Heat a pan with oil, when it is hot, add mustard seeds, cumin and asafoetida, after mustard seeds pops up, add onion, fry till golden brown.
- Add green chilly and garlic, fry till it becomes soft.
- Add sambar powder and garam masala, fry well for a min in a low flame, add tomato, fry till turns soft.
- Add shallow fried okra and salt, keep on stirring in a medium flame.
- Finally add the pickle, mix well, cook for 2 mins and turn off.
- Serve hot with rice or chapathi or roti.
- You can deep fry the okra instead of shallow frying like I did.
- If you don’t have curry powder or sambar powder, add 2 tsp of coriander powder & 1 tsp of red chilly powder.
- If you have amchur powder, add that too.
Tags: achari bhindi, achari bhindi recipe, bhindi recipe, okra stir fry, okra recipe, bhindi side dish recipe for chapathi, ladysfinger fry, bhindi achari, how to make achari bhindi, prepare achari bhindi, easy bhindi dish for roti. pickled okra fry