Did you get bored my making regular chutney only with onion and tomato for idli & dosa. Here is an interesting and healthy carrot coconut chutney recipe, a great side dish for idli & dosa. My mom used to make lot of chutney recipes with vegetables like carrot chutney, chow chow chutney and radish chutney. But I love carrot chutney, because it has a balance of all flavors like sweet, tart, spicy and salt. It tasted so good with samai idly. You can also make this chutney without coconut. For a change, do try this easy carrot chutney recipe for idly or dosa .You will definetely enjoy the goodness of carrot.
Ingredients for Carrot Coconut Chutney Recipe
Preparation Time: 10 mins Cooking Time: 10 mins Serves: 3
- 2 Big Carrots, Grated
- 2 Tbsp of Urad Dal (ulundu)
- 3 Red Chilies (long)
- 1 Tsp of Ginger, Grated
- 1.5 Tbsp of Coconut (Dry Dessicated)
- Pinch of Tamarind
- Salt to taste
- 2 Tsp of Oil
- Water as needed
- 1 Tsp of Gingelly Oil
- 1 Tsp of Mustard
- 1 Tsp of Urad Dal
- Few Curry Leaves
- Pinch of Asafoetida
Method for Carrot Coconut Chutney Recipe
- Wash, peel the skin and trim the edges of carrot. Grate it using grater and keep it aside.
- Heat a pan with oil, when it is hot, add urad dal, onion and red chilies until it turns golden brown.Add ginger and coconut, fry for a min. Finally add grated carrot, tamarind and salt, fry until raw smell vanishes. Turn off the flame, cool the mixture and grind it along with water until it turns smooth. Transfer it to a serving bowl.
- Heat a pan with oil, add mustard seeds, urad dal, curry leaves and asafoetida, after mustard seeds pops up. Transfer this to a serving bowl. Mix well with a spoon.
- Yummy carrot chutney is ready to serve for idly or dosa or paniyaram.
- You can use baby carrots in place of carrots.
- To make your chutney spicy, add green chilies in addition to red chilies.
- Fry the carrots until raw smell vanishes.
- Why grating the carrots ? To make the sautéing process easier.
- You can also make chutney without coconut.
Tags: carrot chutney, carrot coconut chutney, carrot coconut chutney recipe, Carrot chutney for idli dosa, chutney recipes for idli dosa, chutney ideas without onion and tomato, how to make carrot chutney, easy chutney recipe