Today recipe is samai idli recipe. Idli is one of my favourite breakfast dish. Idly is a classic south Indian food made with rice or millet, urad dal and fenugreek. They are great source of carbohydrates and protein. Fermentation process increases protein bioavailability. As it was steamed, they are healthy and they are easily digestible. When I visited India, my mother in law gave me few bags of millets, so I wanted to try some new recipes with millet. So coming to the recipe, samai Idli / little millet idli / chama idli, this recipe has been in my try to do list.. Millets like kuthiravalli, varagu, thinai can be replaced in place of rice. So the method of making samai idli is same as normal idli recipe. Also you can use the same batter to make samai dosa. Serve this samai idli with sambar or chutney. So here comes the samai idli recipe.
Other Millet Recipes
- Samai Sambar Rice
- Samai venpongal
- How to cook Varagu Rice
- Thinai Dosa (Quinoa Dosa)
Ingredients for Samai Idli Recipe
- 1 Cup of Samai (Little Millet)
- 1 Cup of Idly Rice
- 1/2 Cup of Urad Dal
- 1/2 Tsp of Fenugreek
- Salt to taste
Method for Samai Idli Recipe
- Soak the samai, idly rice together and soak urad dal and fenugreek separately for overnight.
- Next day, wash the urad dal and fenugreek and grind it in a grinder with required water until the batter turns fluffy and soft.
- Wash the samai and idly rice, grind it in a grinder with required water until the batter turns little coarse not too smooth.
- Transfer both the batter to the bowl, add salt,mix the batter well with hand. Ferment it for overnight.
- Next day, mix the batter with laddle, then grease the idly plate with oil,pour the idly batter and steam it for 12 mins. Remove it from idly plate.
- Serve the samai idly with your favourite chutney. I had it with carrot chutney.
- Millets may contain stones. so clean the stones before you use.
- You can use same batter to make dosa.
- You can grind it in mixie too.
- If you don’t want to add idly rice, add 2 cups of samai and 1/2 cup of urad dal and 1/2 tsp of fenugreek.
- Don’t add too much of water while grinding the idly batter. If your batter is thin, your idly will turn flat. If your batter is thick, then your idly will turn hard.
- Don’t cook idly for more than 12 mins, then your idly will be hard.
- Take out the batter from fridge 30 mins before you cook idly.
Tags: samai idli, samai idli recipe, little millet idli, chamma idli, make samai idly, make millet idly recipe, millet recipe in tamil, millet dosa recipe, samai recipe ideas, idly recipe, make idly with millet, make dosa with millets. southindiansoftidlyrecipe, millets in US, organic millets online