Gooseberry rice / Nellikai sadham / Amla rice / Usirikkai Annam is a simple to make one pot meal, high in vitamin content and it has lot of health benefits like enhances fertility, fortifies liver, balances stomach acid, good for lungs, hair and heart, reduces cholesterol and blood sugar. When I was in India last year, every week my mom used to make this Amla juice for me, I already posted the recipe for that. The taste of amla rice is very similiar to lemon rice. Try nellikai sadham recipe at home and let me know how it turned out.
How to make Gooseberry Rice Recipe
Ingredients for Gooseberry Rice
- 1 Cup of Cooked Rice
- 1/4 Cup of Gooseberry, Grated
- 1 Tbsp of Coconut, Grated
- 1/2 Tsp of Ginger
- Salt to taste
- 2 Tsp of Oil
- 1 Tsp of Mustard Seeds
- 1 Tsp of Urad Dal
- 1 Tsp of Chana Dal
- 2 Red Chilies
- Few Curry Leaves
- Few Peanuts, Fried
- Pinch of Asafoetida
- 1/4 Tsp of Turmeric Powder
Method for Gooseberry Rice
- Wash gooseberry and grate it using grater. Discards the seeds and set it aside.
- Heat a pan with oil, add all the ingredients listed under ” To Temper List”. After mustard seeds splutters and fry till turns golden brown.
- Add grated gooseberry, ginger and coconut, saute for 2 mins.
- Turn off the stove and add cooked rice, mix gently by adding little oil and salt.
- Hot, tangy gooseberry rice are ready to serve.
- Serve it with papad or any vegetable fry.
- You can also use leftover rice to make this rice.
- For tempering, add green chilies in place of red chilies.
- If you like onion and garlic, add it while tempering.
Tags : gooseberry rice, amla rice, nellikai sadham recipe, how to make amla rice recipe, prepare gooseberry rice, gooseberry recipe, easy gooseberry rice, amla recipe, nellikai sadham, easy one pot meal, variety rice recipe, rice dishes for lunch box.