Dum aloo is a popular vegetarian side dish recipe for chapathi in India. It is made from small potatoes, either shallow fried or deep-fried and then slowly cooked at a low flame. You can make dum aloo in a different ways. This is punjabi style of dum aloo recipe. They are aromatic and flavorful aloo dish. In this aloo dum recipe, I have used yogurt instead you can use heavy cream to make the dish more creamy and yummy. I had it with phulka. Try this restaurant style aloo dum recipe at home and let me know how it turned out.
Ingredients for Dum Aloo
- 12 Baby Potatoes
- 1 Red Onion, Finely Chopped
- 1 Onion Puree
- 1 Big Tomato Puree
- 2 Tsp of Ginger Garlic Paste
- 2 Tsp of Coriander Powder
- 2 Tsp of Red Chilly Powder
- 1/2 Tsp of Fennel Powder
- 1/2 Tsp of Garam Masala
- 1/4 Tsp of Turmeric Powder
- 5 Tbsp of Yogurt (curd)
- 2 Tsp of Lemon Juice
- Coriander Leaves to garnish
To Roast and Grind
- 2 Cloves
- 1 Small Cinnamon
- 1 Cardamom
- 10 Almonds
- 1 Tsp of Cumin
Method for Dum Aloo
- Add onions and tomato to blender and grind it to a smooth paste. Keep it aside.
- Wash and pressure cook the potato for 3 whistles. Peel the skin, prick it on 2 sides with fork and roast them in oil until it turns golden brown.
- Heat a pan, dry roast all the ingredients listed under ” to roast and grind”. Grind it along with water to a smooth paste.
- Heat a pan with oil, add bay leaf, followed by onion, fry well until it turns golden brown, add ginger garlic paste, fry until raw smell vanishes. Add onion and tomato puree, fry well until raw smell goes off. Add ground paste, fry well for a min.
- Add coriander powder, red chilly powder, fennel powder, turmeric powder and garam masala, fry well for a min.
- Add curd(yogurt), mix well. Add cooked potatoes, salt and water, simmer it for 15 mins.
- Finally add coriander leaves and lemon juice, mix well and serve it with phulka or pulao or chapathi.
- Adjust the amount of red chilly powder according to your taste.
- You can also deep fry the potatoes instead of shallow frying them.
- Add cashews in place of almonds.
Tags: dum aloo, aloo dum, dum aloo recipe, aloo dum recipe, how to make dum aloo recipe, prepare aloo dum recipe, restaurant style aloo dum, hotel style dum aloo, punjabi style dum aloo recipe, side dish for chapathi, aloo recipe for chapathi.