Rajma Cutlet / Rajma Aloo Tikki / Kidney Beans Patties are healthy and nutritive snacks for kids and adults. This potato rajma cutlets are power packed food as rajma are rich in protein and aloo (potato) are rich in carbohydrates. Both protein and carbs plays an important part in helping you to shed extra pounds. I always use rajma (kidney beans) to make rajma masala or rajma capsicum curry or rajma paratha. This time I prepared rajma aloo cutlet to make sandwich. I will post rajma cutlet sandwich recipe tomorrow. Coming to the recipe, I used kashmiri rajma and I wanted to make kidney bean patties more healthier so I shallow fried the cutlets with less oil instead of deep-frying. Add veggies to the cutlet to enhance nutrition and you can pack this for kids lunch box. Try this easy rajma cutlet recipe and let me know the feedback.
How to make Potato Rajma Cutlet
Ingredients for Rajma Cutlets
Preparation Time : 15 mins+ overnight soaking Cooking Time : 35 mins Serves: 10 Cutlets
- 3/4 Cup of Rajma (Red Kidney Beans)
- 3 Potatoes
- 4 Garlic Cloves and 1 Inch of Ginger, crushed using mortar and pestle
- 5 Curry Leaves, Finely Chopped
- Pinch of Asafoetida
- Handful of Coriander Leaves, Chopped
- 2-3 Tbsp of Besan Flour (Gram Flour)
- 2 Tsp of Red Chilli Powder
- 1 Tsp of Cumin Powder
- 1/2 Tsp of Garam Masala
- 1/2 Tsp of Kasuri Methi (Dried Fenugreek Leaves)
- Salt to taste
- Oil for shallow frying
- Bread Crumbs from 3 toasted bread or store bought
Method for Rajma Cutlets
- Soak rajma (kidney beans) in water for overnight. Next day, drain the water and transfer it to pressure cooker, add enough water. Pressure cook for 12 – 15 whistles and turn it off.
- Meanwhile, wash the potatoes and microwave it for 5 mins for each potato or pressure cook it for 3 whistles. Peel off the skin of potatoes, mash it and set it aside.
- In a blender, grind the beans coarsely, don’t add water while grinding.
- Heat a pan with oil, add ginger-garlic paste, fry for a min, add curry leaves, coriander leaves, asafoetida, red chilly powder, cumin powder and garam masala, fry for a min. Add kasuri methi, mix well and turn it off. Transfer this masala mixture to a mixing bowl, add mashed potatoes, ground beans, besan flour, add salt, combine well with your fingers. If your mixture comes out dry, sprinkle some water, mix well and form like a dough.
- Pinch a small portions from the dough and roll into balls. Flatten the balls with your palm into cutlets.
- Roll the cutlets in bread crumbs. Heat a cast iron pan, add a tbsp of oil, spread it using paper towel, place cutlet and drizzle a tsp of oil on the sides of the cutlets, cook for few mins and flip to the other side using spatula and drizzle a tsp of oil again, cook on low flame until it turns golden colour. Carefully remove from the pan.
- Yummy rajma cutlet are ready to serve.
- Serve with ketchup or as sandwich by placing them between breads.
- You can have mixed vegetables in place of aloo (potato).
- Always cook cutlet in medium flame, please take more time to cook, as rajma can cause flatulence or digestive issues.
- If you don’t have breadcrumbs, just toast it in oil without crumbs
- You can also deep fry the cutlet instead of shallow frying like I did.
- Add more gram flour if your dough is watery.
Tags: rajma aloo cutlet, rajma cutlet, rajma aloo tikki, kidney bean cutlet recipe, red kidney beans patties, rajma tikki, rajma potato patties, rajma potato cutlet, how to make rajma cutlet, prepare rajma tikki at home, cutlet recipe, tikki recipe, patty with kashmiri rajma, rajma recipe, snacks for kids, breakfast recipe.