Chole Masala (Channa Masala) is a delicious and popular curry from Punjab. In India, it is often eaten with Bhatura and it is popularly called chole-bhatura. In this easy chole masala recipe (punjabi style), chickpeas are simmered with the mixture of onion, tomato, ginger garlic paste and spices. The great thing about this chole masala dish is spices we add make the curry fragrant and tasty. This chickpeas curry is without coconut can be served for bhatura or roti or rice.
Ingredients for Easy Chole Masala Recipe
Preparation Time: 8 hrs Cooking Time : 40 mins Serves : 5
To Pressure Cook
- 2 Cups of Chole (Chick Peas)
- Water as needed
- 1 Tsp of Oil
- Salt to taste
Spice Mix for Chole Masala
- 10 Black Pepper
- 2 Cloves
- 2 Black Cardamom
- 1 Medium size Cinnamon
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1.5 Tsp of Cumin
- 1.5 Tsp of Fennel Seeds
- 2 Tsp of Coriander Powder
- 2 Red Chillies
To Make Gravy
- 3 Onion, Finely Chopped
- 5 Garlic Cloves + 1/2 Inch Ginger, Crushed to paste using mortar and pestle
- 1 Green Chilly, Slit it
- 4 Tomatoes
- 1/4 Tsp of Turmeric Powder
- 1/4 Tsp of Garam Maslaa
- 1/2 Tsp for Red Chilly Powder
- salt to taste
- 1 Tsp Lemon Juice or Pinch of Amchur Powder
- Cilantro for garnishing
Method for Easy Chole Masala Recipe
- Soak the chickpeas in water for overnight or 6-8 hrs. After that, rinse the chickpeas in a running tap water.
- In a pressure cooker, add chickpeas, required water, salt and oil, cook it for 15 whistles.
- Heat a pan, add all the spices listed under spice mix, roast it in a medium low flame, until they turn light brown and fragrant. After it cool down, grind in a dry grinder / mixie and keep it aside.
- Heat the same pan with oil, when it is hot, add onion, fry until it turns golden brown. Next, add ginger garlic paste, fry until raw smell vanishes.
- Then add the green chilly, turmeric powder, red chilly powder, garam masala and spice mix powder, fry well.
- Add tomatoes, saute them until it turns mushy.
- Then add cooked chole (chickpeas), stir well with masala.
- Add stock water in which chickpeas was cooked and add salt, mix well. Cover the pan with a lid and cook it in a low flame for 20 mins until the gravy turns thick. Finally mash some of the chickpeas, so that the consistency turns little thick but not thin. Turn off the stove.
- Finally add lemon juice, mix well. Garnish the chole masala with chopped corinader leaves.
- Serve this chickpeas curry with bhatura.
- To save time, use canned chickpeas instead of dried ones.
- Adjust the amount of spicyness according to your taste.
- You can also use tomato paste in place of fresh tomatoes.
Tags: channa masala, chole masala, chole masala recipe, chickpeas curry, easy chole masala recipe, bhatura chole masala recipe, channa masala recipe, punjabi chole masala, prepare chole masala, how to make chole masala, north indian channa masala, restaurant style chole masala, side dish for naan and bhatura,