Wishing you all Happy New Year…Arisi Thengai Payasam / Rice Coconut kheer recipe / Rice milk pudding with jaggery is a traditional payasam which we make during festival occasions like Diwali, New year. This arisi thengai payasam recipe / Rice payasam recipe is a south Indian kheer made with rice, milk, coconut, jaggery, ghee and nuts. For sweetness, you can use either sugar or palm jaggery or jaggery. I really love this kheer because of coconut and ghee flavor. Try this quick and easy to make rice payasam with jaggery for any special occasions and enjoy !!!
INGREDIENTS FOR RICE COCONUT KHEER RECIPE WITH JAGGERY
Preparation Time : 20 mins Cooking Time : 20 mins Serves – 3
- 1/4 Cup of Basmathi Rice
- 2 Cups of Full Fat Milk (Boiled and Cooled)
- 3/4 Cup of Water
- 3/4 – 1 Cup of Jaggery
- 2 Tbsp of Dessicated Coconut
- 1/4 Tsp of Cardamom Powder
- 10 Roasted Cashews
- 10 Raisins
- 5 Almonds
- 5 Saffron Strands
- 1 Tbsp of Ghee
METHOD FOR RICE COCONUT KHEER RECIPE WITH JAGGERY
- In a pressure cooker, add 1 tsp of ghee and roast the rice until nice aroma comes. You can grind the rice coarsely at this stage, this is optional. You can even cook the rice like I did. Add roasted rice and 1 cup of milk, cook it for 3 whistles. Open the cooker after pressure releases on its own, add the remaining milk and switch on the flame again.
- In the mean time, heat a pan with little water and jaggery, wait until it completely dissolves. Once you done and filter it. Keep it aside. In the same pan, add 1/2 tsp of ghee and add coconut, roast it and keep it aside.
- You keep on stirring the milk, after the milk turns thick, add melted jaggery and stir well.
- Add coconut, remaining ghee, cardamom powder, saffron strands and roasted nuts, mix well. Once you done, turn off the flame.
- Chill the payasam in fridge and serve cold. You can also serve hot after full course south Indian meals.
- More you add rice, thicker the payasam will be. So add it accordingly.
- You can also add fresh coconut bits instead of dessicated coconut.
- For sweetness, you can use either sugar or palm jaggery or jaggery.
- You can also use milkmaid instead of milk.
- Add nuts of your choice.
- Colour of payasam depends on the quality of jaggery.
Tips: arisi thengai payasam, arisi payasam recipe, rice payasam recipe, rice coconut kheer recipe, rice kheer recipe with jaggery, rice payasam with coconut, payasam recipe, kheer recipe south indian, how to make arisi payasam, milk pudding, payasam with jaggery.