Bhatura, bhatoora, batoora or chola poori is a popular Punjabi breakfast dish. I wanted to post the chole bhatura recipe for a long time and finally I made it today. There are lot of recipes for bhatura available with yeast and without yeast. I saw this recipe here and I tried, it came out good and puffy. This bhatura recipe is without yeast, here the yogurt helps the bhatura to rise and adds a little tangy taste. I love bhatura because they are crispy outside and spongy inside. Bhatura with chole masala is totally irresistible in taste.. Try this quick bhatura recipe in your home and enjoy.
Ingredients for Quick Bhatura Recipe / Chola Poori Without Yeast
Prep time : 4 hrs Cooking Time: 30 mins Serves :7
- 2 Cups of Maida (All Purpose Flour)
- 3 Tbsp of Sooji (Rava / Semolina)
- 4 Tbsp of Yogurt
- 1 Tbsp of Oil
- 1/2 Tsp of Sugar
- 1 Tsp of Baking Powder
- Vegetable Oil to deep fry
- Water as needed
Method – Quick Bhatura Recipe / Chola Poori Without Yeast
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl except oil, knead well and form a soft and smooth dough.
- Cover the bowl and keep it aside for 4 hrs to allow fermentation to take place. Knead the dough again and form it into lemon sized balls.
- Take one ball, roll into thick round shaped disc.
- Heat oil in a frying pan, once it is hot, turn the flame to medium, carefully slide the bhaturas in hot oil.
- After few seconds, press it with the back of the laddle, so that it puffs up. Fry both sides until it turns golden brown. Remove it from the oil with a laddle and serve hot with chole.
- Make sure you have enough oil in a frying pan, otherwise the bhatras will not puff up.
- You can also make bhaturas with yeast.
- Always fry bhaturas in a medium flame.