Samai Ven Pongal Recipe / Little Millet Pongal
Samai pongal is a healthy Indian breakfast dish. This samai ven pongal recipe (Little millet pongal) is a nutritious dish as it has got samai (little millets) and moong dal in it and it tastes more like ven pongal recipe. I made this samai pongal recipe in a pressure cooker so it takes very less time to cook. You can follow the same recippe to make kuthiravalli pongal or varagu pongal recipe.
To make samai venpongal recipe, you need samai, moong dal and spices. Tempering with spices like pepper, cumin, grated ginger makes pongal more flavorful. My amma told this recipe, I followed so it came out so good and flavorful.
If you are looking for healthy breakfast recipe, then do try this samai ven pongal recipe at home. Also check my godhuma rava pongal (cracked wheat pongal)
Health Benefits of Samai (Little Millet)
- This millet is gluten free and it is packed with vitamins and minerals.
- Acts as a prebiotic and feed microflora of inner ecosystem.
- It is alkaline in nature.
- Digest quickly.
- Provides serotonin to sooth your mood.
- Helps to hydrate your colon
Ingredients for Samai Ven Pongal Recipe
- 3/4 Cup of Samai (Little Millet)
- 1/4 Cup of Moong Dal
- 3.5 Cups of water
- 1 Tsp of Grated Ginger
- 1 Tsp of Whole Pepper
- 1 Tsp of Cumin
- Few Curry Leaves
- Pinch of Hing
- Few Cashews
- 1/4 Cup of Ghee
- 2 Tbsp of Milk
Method for Samai Ven Pongal Recipe
- In a pressure cooker, add samai, moong dal, milk and water. Cook it for 4 whistles. Open the cooker after the pressure release on its own.
- Fry the cashews in ghee until it turns golden brown and keep it aside.
- Heat ghee in a pan, when it is hot, add grated ginger, pepper, cumin, curry leaves and hing, after it pops up and nice aroma comes, add cooked dal and samai and keep mixing gently in a low flame and let it be in stove for few mins.
- Finally add roasted cashews and ghee, mix well.
- Hot, yummy healthy samai pongal is ready to serve.
- If you find your pongal is dry, add little more oil or ghee.
- You can also make pongal with kuthiravalli or varagu.
- Adjust the amount of water according to your wish.
- You can even roast the moong dal before you pressure cook.
- Add any nuts of your choice.