Poosanikai Payasam / Yellow pumpkin kheer / gummadikaya payasam is an easy to make payasam recipe during festivals occasions like diwali or vijadhasami or ayudha pooja. In north India, this payasam is also called kaddu ki kheer. Halloween time in US, so you can see lot of yellow pumpkin in shops. You can make lot of recipes with yellow pumpkin like sambar, kuzhambu, curry or halwa.
To make yellow pumpkin kheer, you need yellow pumpkin, sago, sugar, cardamom, nuts and ghee. You can also use white pumpkin in place of yellow pumpkin while making payasam. But I prefer yellow pumpkin. This pumpkin kheer is very simple and delicious in taste. Today I am sharing simple and classic poosanikai payasam recipe.
How to make yellow pumpkin payasam recipe
Preparation Time : 15 mins Cooking Time : 10 mins Serves : 4
Ingredients for Yellow Pumpkin Kheer
To Pressure Cook
- 2.5 Cups of Yellow Pumpkin, Chopped
- 1.5 Cups of Water
- 2.5 Tbsp of Sago
- 1 Cup of Milk
- 2/3 Cup of Sugar
- 3 Cardamom
- 2-3 Tbsp of Ghee
- Cashews or Almonds as needed
- Few Raisins
- Few Saffron Strands
Method for poosanikai payasam
- Clean, peel the skin and cut the pumpkin into pieces.
- In a pressure cooker, add pumpkin pieces, sago and water. Cook it for 5 whistles. After 10 mins, open the lid, mash it with a masher. Do not grind it in mixie.
- Heat a pan with ghee, fry the cashews or badam and raisins. Keep it aside.
- Turn on the stove, place the cooker, add milk and sugar, let it boil for 10 mins. Turn off the stove and add fried cashews, raisins. Finally garnish it with saffron.
- Serve hot or cold.
- Adjust sugar according to your taste
- You can use canned pumpkin puree in place of freshly chopped pumpkin pieces.
- To make your paysam even more rich and tasty, add condensed milk to it.
- Use jaggery instead of sugar for sweetness.
- To get creamy or nutty taste, add coconut bits or coconut milk.
Tags : poosanikai payasam, pumpkin kheer, yellow pumpkin kheer, yellow pumpkin payasam recipe, how to make pumpkin payasam recipe, prepare poosanikai payasam, payasam recipes, kheer recipes, payasam recipe for festivals, tamil payasam recipe, kaddu ki kheer