Pudhina Thogayal (Mint Chutney Recipe without coconut) is a tasty and flavourful chutney that goes well with hot idly or dosa or even chapathi. This mint chutney has no coconut, no onion and no tomato in it. This pudhina chutney is without seasoning, so you can spread it in bread to make sandwiches. To make pudhina thogayal recipe, you need mint leaves. Other ingredients are garlic and ginger which adds a different twist, tamarind adds little tangy taste which compliments well with mint chutney. Addition of urad dal and bengal gram gives thickness to this chutney. Serve this easy pudhina thogayal (Mint Chutney) for idly or dosa or pongal or chapathi or in bread sandwiches.
Ingredients for Mint Chutney
- 3 Cups of Mint Leaves
- 3 Tsp of Urad Dal
- 3 Tsp of Chana Dal
- 3 Red Chillies
- Small Tamarind Ball (Grape Size)
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- 1/2 Inch Ginger
- Few Curry Leaves
- Salt to taste
- Oil as needed
Method For Pudhina Thogayal
- Heat a pan with oil, add red chillies, urad dal, channa dal, saute this for few mins, until it changes to light brown color. Transfer this to a plate.
- Heat the same pan with oil, add garlic, ginger, saute this for mins, add tamarind, curry leaves and mint leaves, saute this until it shrinks in size. Transfer this to a same plate. Let it cool down for few mins.
- Grind everything to a little coarse paste along with little salt and water. Transfer it to a serving bowl.
- Serve this chutney for hot idly or dosa or even you use it for sandwiches.
- You can add coconut while sautéing, but differs in taste.
- For spicy taste, I used red chillies, you can use green chillies instead.
- Adding tamarind adds tangy taste, that compliments well with mint chutney.
Tags :mint chutney, mint chutney recipe, pudhina chutney, pudhina chutney recipe, pudhina thogayal, how to make pudhina thogayal, make mint chutney, prepare pudhina thogayal, thogayal recipes, south indian mint chutney, chutney varieties, side dish chutney for idly dosa, chutney without coconut., make pudhina chutney