KALKANDU SADAM RECIPE / SWEET PONGAL
How To make Kalkandu Pongal Recipe ( கல்கண்டு பொங்கல்)
Time is flying and my blog FoodyBuddy turned 2 today….Happy Birthday FoodyBuddy !!!!!
I sincerely thank all my fellow bloggers, enthusiasts, friends, foodies, casual visitors, family members and critiques as I progress in this virtual world of blogging …This certainly has enriched my life, added color and has certainly given me something useful to share back with the community . Besides sharing my recipes , I have also learnt a lot in cooking techniques and has enriched my knowledge in food photography and presentation skills …Finally it is certainly a feeling of joy and comfort to learn that the recipes you share is appreciated by folks from the far corners of the world and I do want to thank my husband and my family for their constant support and appreciation …
To enjoy this beautiful day I have posted traditional south Indian sweet recipe – Kalkandu sadam Recipe / Kalkandu pongal. I love all kinds of pongal varities but my favourite are kalkandu pongal and sakkarai pongal. I really like unique taste and the flavour of this pongal, the sweetness from sugar candy just remains in tastebuds for long time. Kalkandu sadam is given as prasatham in temples and many people offered to god during pooja.
To make this kalkandu pongal, all you need is rice, sugar candy, ghee and nuts. For rice, you can use raw rice or basmathi rice. Here I used small kalkandu, you can also use big sugar candy to make this sweet.
Try out this delicious and mouthwatering kalkandu sadam recipe, it just tastes divine.
Preparation Time : 10 mins Cooking Time : 15 mins Serves : 4
Ingredients for kalkandu sadam recipe
- 1 Cup of Raw Rice
- 2 Cups of Kalkandu (Sugar Candy)
- 1 Cups of Milk
- 2 Cups of Water
- 4 Tbsp of Ghee (Clarified Butter)
- 3 Cardamom, Crushed
- Few Cashews and raisins
- Few Strands of Saffron
Method for Kalkandu Pongal Recipe
- Soak the rice for 1 hr and keep it aside.
- In a mixie, add kalkandu (sugar candy) and grind it to a fine powder.
- Heat a pan with ghee, roast the cashews and raisins until it changes colour.
- Wash the rice and add milk and water. Pressure cook this for 4 whistles. After it is done, mash the rice with the back of the ladle or use masher.
- In a medium flame, add kalkandu powder followed by ghee, keep stirring and mix well with rice. Finally add crushed cardamom, cashews, raisins and saffron. Mix well and turn off the flame.
- Serve hot with generous amount of ghee….It tastes yummy and heavenly in taste.
- You can add 1/4 cup of moong dal along with rice while pressure cooking. This step is optional.
- For sweetness, you can add jaggery along with sugar candy. Some people do like that.
- Instead of powdered sugar candy, you can add as such, as it will melt when you heated up.
- Add any nuts of your choice.
Tags : kalkandu sadam, kalkandu sadam recipe, kalkandu pongal, kalkandu pongal recipe, how to make kalkandu pongal recipe, prepare kalkandu sadam, prepare kalkandu pongal, sweet pongal recipe, kalkandu sakarai pongal, sugar candu pongal, rock candy pongal, sweet recipe with kalkandu, recipe with sugar candy, easy pongal recipe, pongal festival recipe.