Onion Rava Dosa is a favourite dosa recipe in our house. My Sister in law is a rava dosa expert, whenever we run out of dosa batter at home, she makes this rava dosa for quick breakfast option. Rava means semolina or sooji. This rava dosa recipe is not an instant version, it requires soaking time but dosa will come out thin and crispy. But the best part of this rava dosa recipe is that it does not need any fermentation, very easy to make dosa for breakfast. You can make this rava dosa plain or add spices and onion to the batter to make it more flavorful.
To make Hotel Style onion rava dosa recipe, you need rava (sooji), maida(all purpose flour) , rice flour for crispness, onion for little sweet taste, ginger and cumin for digestion, green chillies and black pepper for spiciness. You can add water to the batter or watery buttermilk that adds little sour taste to rava dosa.
If you are not getting netted texture and cripy dosa, add some more water to the batter and make rava dosa.
Ingredients For Hotel Style Onion Rava Dosa Recipe
- 2 Cups of Maida
- 1 Cup of Rava
- 1/2 Cup of Rice Flour
- Salt as needed
- Water or buttermilk as required
- 1 Inch of Ginger, Grated
- 2 Big Onion, Finely Chopped
- 1 Tsp of Cumin (Jeera)
- 1 Tsp of Black Pepper
- 2 Green Chillies
- 1 Tsp of Oil
- 1 Tsp of Mustard
- 1 Tsp of Urad Dal
- Few Curry Leaves
Method To Make Hotel Style Onion Rava Dosa Recipe
- In a bowl, combine maida, rava, rice flour, salt and water. Mix well everything, cover the bowl and soak it for 6 hrs.
- Crush the peppercorns in mortar and pestle.
- Heat a pan with oil, add mustard, urad dal and curry leaves, after it splutters, add grated ginger, chopped onion, chopped green chillies, fry well for few mins and add it to the batter, then add cumin, crushed pepper, required water to the batter and mix it. The batter should be watery.
- Heat dosa pan, when it is smoking hot, take laddle full of batter and start pouring the batter from outside rim of tawa towards center.
- Add 1 tsp of oil around the dosa. Larger holes will appear in this dosa, do not fill the holes, if you add extra batter to cover the holes, then your dosa won’t be crispy.
- Cook the dosa on other side and drizzle some oil around dosa, wait until it turn crisp.
- Hot, crispy onion rava roast is ready to serve with your favourite chutneys like tiffin sambar, tomato chutney or coconut chutney
- If you don’t want green chillies, just add black pepper alone.
- To get crispy dosa, the batter should be watery in consistency.
- Always mix the batter before pouring dosa, because rava will get settle at the bottom.
- Always use fine rava like bombay rava.
- If you are health conscious, add wheat flour in place of maida.
- For buttermilk – add 1/4 cup of sour yoghurt (curd) to 2 cups of water.
- I recommend to use iron skillet instead of non stick dosa pan.
- If dosa sticks to dosa pan, add some more rice flour to the batter.
Tags : rava dosa, rava dosa recipe, onion rava dosa recipe, hotel style onion rava dosa recipe, how to make onion rava dosa at home, make hotel style crispy onion rava dosa recipe, crispy rava dosa, rava dosa not coming, prepare rava dosa, restaurant style rava dosa recipe, dosa recipe for breakfastby