Kerala Kadala Curry Recipe for puttu is a coconut based gravy where the main ingredient is chickpeas. Kerala puttu and kadala Curry is a classic breakfast dish in kerala households. Kadala curry goes well not only with putu, but chickpeas gravy goes well with appam, idiyappam, dosa, poori and chapathi. I got this authentic kadalai curry recipe from my neighbour aunty, she is from kerala. My mom makes puttu often, but we don’t eat it with kadala curry. We just eat it with sugar, ghee and banana. I always wanted to try this classic combo, so this time I followed neighbor aunty kadala curry recipe for puttu, it came out so good and everyone liked it at home. So try this kerala kadala curry recipe for puttu. Kadala curry is very comforting and a classic kerala vegetarian recipe.
How to make kerala style kadala curry recipe for puttu, appam and idiyappam
Preparation Time : 30 mins +soaking time Cooking Time : 30 mins Serves : 4
Ingredients for Kerala Kadala Curry Recipe for puttu
- 1.5 Cups of Black Chickpeas / Kondakadalai / Kala Chana
- 1 Tsp of Coconut Oil / any vegetable oil
- Required Water
- Salt as needed
Spice Powder – To Roast and Grind
- 2 Tsp of Coconut Oil
- 1.5 Tbsp of Coriander Seeds
- 6 Small Onions
- 1/2 Tsp of Fennel Seeds
- 2 Cloves
- 2 Cardamom
- 1 Cinnamon
- 1 Star Anise
- 3/4 Cup of Grated Coconut
- 2 Tsp of Coconut Oil
- 1 Tsp of Mustard Seeds
- 1 Red Chilly
- Few Curry Leaves
- 3 Medium Size Onion, Chopped
- 1 Tsp of Ginger Garlic Paste
- 2 Green Chillies, Slitted
- 1/2 Tsp of Turmeric Powder
- 1/4 Tsp of Red Chilly Powder
Method for kadala curry recipe for puttu
To Pressure Cook
- Soak the black chickpeas for overnight and In a cooker, add black chickpeas, required water, oil and salt. Cook it for 5 whistles, simmer it and cook it for 20 mins. Turn off the stove. Keep it aside.
To Roast and Grind
- Heat a pan with oil, add coriander seeds, small onions, fennel seeds, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, star anise and coconut. Fry it for few mins and turn off the stove. Let it cool down and grind it to a smooth paste.
For the seasoning
- Heat a pan with coconut oil, temper it with mustard seeds, red chilly and curry leaves. After it splutters, add chopped onion, fry it for few mins until it turns golden brown. Add ginger garlic paste, fry it until raw smell vanishes. Add green chillies, fry it for secs. Add the spice powder, fry it for few secs and finally add cooked chickpeas, little water, simmer it and cook it for 15-20 mins and turn if off. Garnish it with coriander leaves.
- Serve kerala kadala curry with puttu.
- Don’t burn the spices while roasting.
- Instead of using whole spices in this curry, you can even use garam masala.
- Adjust the amount of spicy taste by increasing or decreasing the no of green chilles.
- You can add coconut milk to enhance the flavor of the curry.
Tags : kadala curry, kadala curry recipe, kerala kadala curry, how to make kerala kadalai curry recipe, prepare kadalai curry recipe, kerala style kadala curry recipe, puttu kadalai curry recipe, how to make kadala curry for puttu, side dish for puttu, side dish for appam, easy kadala curry recipe, how to make kadalai curry recipe, kerala vegetarian recipe.