“Happy Vinayagar Chaturthi My Friends”
I usually make thengai poorna kozhukattai for vinayagar chaturthi. As ganesh chaturthi is coming in the week. I wanted to post kozhukattai recipe. So here I am with Ellu kozhukattai Recipe for upcoming vinayagar chaturthi. They are also called sesame seeds kozhukattai (dumplings with sesame seeds and jaggery fillling). As a kid I love only sweet kozhukattai recipe with pooranam and paal kozhukattai. I am not fond of savory kozhukattai recipe like kara kozhukattai or uppu urundai. The method of preparing outer covering for the kozhukattai are same except the fillings. To make ellu poorna kozhukattai recipe, I used ellu, thengai and jaggery as filling, so you call this kozhukattai as thengai ellu poorna kozhukattai recipe. Try this easy ellu kozhukattai recipe for ganesh chaturthi and let me know how it turned out.
Ingredients for Ellu Kozhukattai Recipe
To make pooranam
- 1/4 cup of Ellu / Sesame Seeds (white)
- 2 Tbsp of Jaggery (Vellam)
- 1.5 Tbsp of Grated Coconut
- Pinch of cardamom powder
To make outer dough
- 3/4 Cup of Rice Flour (Store bought)
- 2 Tsp of Sesame Oil
- Salt and water as needed
Method to make sesame seeds kozhukattai
To prepare Stuffing
- Heat a pan, dry roast the ellu (sesame seeds) until it pops. In a mixie, add roasted sesame seeds, jaggery and coconut, grind it. Don’t add water while grinding. Make it into small balls. Stuffing is ready.
To prepare outer dough
- Heat water in a pan, let it come to good boil, add salt and oil. Add rice flour and make it into dough. Grease your hand with oil and knead it to a smooth dough.
- Make equally sized balls out of the dough. Keep it covered.
- Take a ball, flatten it with your fingers. Keep the stuffing in the centre and make it into modak shape.
- Repeat the procedure to the rest of the dough. Steam the modak (kozhukattai) in idly maker for 10 mins.
- Delicious ellu kozhukattai are ready.
- You can use black sesame seeds to make this modak.
- Adjust the amount of jaggary according to your taste.
- Do not over cook / steam it, it may give you break the kozhukattai.
- Making outer dough is important. You can add rice flour to the boiled water or you can add boiled water to the rice flour bowl.
- Make thin outer layers of the dough so that the kozhukattai will be soft and also it gets cooked easily
tags : ellu kozhukattai, sesame seeds kozhukkattai recipe, how to make ellu kozhukattai recipe, modak recipe, poorna kozhukattai recipe, how to make thenga poorna kozhukattai recipe, modhagam, prepare sweet kozhukattai recipes, ganesh chaturthirecipes, vinayagar chaturthi recipes. pillaiyar chaturthi recipes, vinayagar chaturthi tamil recipes 2014