Matar Kachori / Green peas kachori is a fried poori with green peas stuffing. I love to munch hot matar kachori especially the store-bought kachori from Agarwal bhavan in parrys. I used to eat a lot in my college days as my father used to get me kachori every week from Agarwal bhavan.
To make matar kachori recipe, you have to make the outer cover with maida or wheat. For stuffing, you need green peas, spice mix and salt. You can make variety of kachori recipe just by replacing with other stuffings like moong dal (khasta kachori), pyaz kachori (onion kachori).
Kachori with green peas is also called as khasta mattar kachori / mutter ke kachori, a favourite street food in northern India. Enjoy this matar kachori as snack with coriander chutney or tamarind chutney or aloo subzi.
Preparation Time : 30 mins Cooking Time : 30 mins Serves :12
Health Benefits of Peas
- They are low in fat.
- Prevents stomach cancer.
- Anti-aging, strong immune system and energy.
- Prevention of wrinkles.
- Regulates blood sugar levels.
Ingredients for matar kachori recipe
- 2 Cups of Maida (All Purpose Flour)
- 1.5 Tbsp of Oil
- Salt as required
- Water as needed
- 1 Cup Green Peas (Matar / Pattani)
- 1 Tbsp of Oil
- 1/2 Tsp of Cumin (Jeera)
- Pinch of Asafoetida (Hing)
- 1/2 Tsp of Coriander Powder
- 1/4 Tsp of Red Chilly Powder
- 1/4 Tsp of Turmeric Powder
- 1/4 Tsp of Fennel Powder
- 1/4 Tsp of Chaat Masala
- 1/4 Tsp of Garam Masala
- 1/4 Tsp of Amchur Powder
- Pinch of kasoori methi
- 2 Green Chillies, Chopped
- 1 Inch of Ginger, Finely Chopped
- Coriander Leaves, Finely Chopped
- Salt to taste
- 2 Cups of Oil to deep fry
Method to make green peas kachori
Preparing the pastry
- In a mixing bowl, add maida, oil and salt. Add water little by little, knead well to form a tight dough. Cover the bowl and let it sit for 15 minutes.
Preparing the Stuffing
- Boil the peas in cooker or microwave. Mash them coarsely using masher.
- Heat the pan with oil, add cumin, after it sizzles, add asafoetida, ginger and green chilli, fry it for a min. Add all the dry spice powders and salt. Fry them for few mins. Now stuffing is ready.
Preparing the kachori
- Make equally sized balls out of the dough. Take one ball, roll them into small circle.
- Place a tbsp of stuffing in the centre. Gather the edges and seal it properly. Flatten it and roll them gently into 4-5 inches in diameter.
- In the meantime, heat the oil in a pan, when it is hot, in a medium flame, fry the kachori till they become golden brown colour and crispy.
- Serve matar kachori hot with mint chutney or tamarind chutney. I had it with tomato ketchup.
- You can follow the same recipe to make variety of kachori just by replacing the stuffing.
- For puffiness, add a pinch of baking powder to the flour and knead it.
- Stuffing should be dry, otherwise it comes out when you roll.
- Oil temperature should be in medium flame.
Tags : kachori recipe, green peas kachori, matar kachori, mutter ke kachori, matar kachori recipe, how to make matar kachori recipe, prepare green peas kachori, khasta mattar kachori, street food recipe, chaat recipes, homemade kachori recipe, north indian snack