Betel leaves or paan is the most important item in socio-religious life of Hindus. There won’t be any auspicious occasion without betal leaves in India. Also betel leaves is a symbol of freshness and prosperity. According to ayurvedic science, it is used to cure diseases that are caused by air, bile and phlegm. Also it is a best medicine for cold and cough. I and my mom used to chew this betal leaves (Vetrilai) and areca nuts(pakku) when we get affected by cold. Coming to the recipe, betel leaves rice / vetrilai sadham is a one pot meal with lots of health benefits. This betel leaves (vaethalai) rice is very easy to make in a less time, the rice has a distinct flavour and unique taste because of betel leaf, garlic,cumin and pepper. This vetrilai sadham is good for all ages from kids to adults. Also it is perfect to pack this rice for lunch box. So do try this herbal (medicinal) rice recipe at home and let me know how it turned out.
Health Benefits of Betel Leaves
- Good for digestion.
- Natural palate cleanser and a mouth freshener.
- Strengthen teeth and gums.
- It has got diuretic properties.
Preparation Time : 10 Mins Cooking Time : 15 mins Serves : 1
Ingredients For Betal Leaves Rice
- 4 Betal Leaves
- 1/2 Tsp of Cumin
- 1/2 Tsp of Black Pepper
- 1 Cup of Cooked Rice
- 10 Small Onion
- 5 Garlic Cloves
- 1/4 Tsp of Turmeric Powder
- Salt to Taste
- 1 Tsp of Gingelly Oil
- 1 Tsp of Ghee
- 1 Tsp of Mustard seeds
- 1 Tsp of Urad Dal
- 7 Curry Leaves
- Pinch of Hing (Asafoetida)
Method for betal leaves rice
- Wash the betal leaves. Grind betal leaves, pepper and cumin. Keep it aside.
- Heat a pan with oil and ghee, temper it with the ingredients listed under ” To Temper ” after it sizzles, add onions, garlic cloves and turmeric powder, fry it until it turns golden brown colour. Add ground paste and little water, saute this for 3 mins. Turn off the flame. Add cooked rice and salt, toss well.
- Serve hot with appalam or potato chips.
- You can also use red chillies while grinding or during tempering for more spicy taste.
- Don’t chose mature betal leaves, use tender ones.
nice one.. heard about it but never tried it.. looks delicious..
Delicious rice and beautiful clicks…
Healthy and flavorful rice!!!
Didn’t know that betel leaves can be used for cooking. Its a nice add on for rice. Its tempting and you know, I simply love rice. Over here we have another variety of betel leaves for cooking; daun kaduk. I shall use that and try this rice dish.
Comments are closed.