Vadu maangai Oorugai / Vadu mango pickle recipe is a popular south Indian pickle prepared from mavadu (Tiny Baby Mangoes). My mom used to buy tender raw mangoes in bulk and make this special pickle during summer, but this time I tried this authentic maa vadu pickle and it successfully came out so good. This pickle will stay good for months without refrigeration. You can use gingelly oil or castor oil to make this vadu mango pickle. Vadumangai oorugai tastes great with curd rice and moor sadham. Try this no cook south Indian BABY MANGO PICKLE at home and enjoy …
- 1/2 Kg of Raw Tiny Mangoes
- 2 Tsp of Mustard Seeds
- 2 Tsp of Fenugreek
- 25 Red Chillies
- 1/4 Tsp of Asafoetida
- 1 Small Virali Manjal ( Turmeric) or 1/2 Tsp of Turmeric Powder
- 4 Tbsp of Gingelly Oil or Castor Oil
- salt to taste
Method for Maavadu Pickle
- Wash and pat dry the mangoes in a kitchen towel, let them dry in shade for 2 hrs.
- In a big glass bottle, transfer the mangoes and pour oil and mix well so that oil coats all the mangoes.
- In the mean time, dry roast the mustard, fenugreek and red chillies until fenugreek changes color and mustard cracks. Cool down and grind them along with turmeric, salt and asafoetida.
- Add 5 Tbsp of water and grind it to a smooth paste.Transfer this to bottle and mix well with clean, dry spoon.
- Keep this covered and leave it in kitchen shelf for 10 days.
- Shake the jar couple of times every day. After few days, the mangoes will shrink in size and water quantity increases because of salt.
- Serve this flavorful pickle with sambar sadham (Sambar Rice) or thayir sadham (Curd Rice).
- Always use dry clean spoon. DO not use your hand to take pickle.
- Store it in glass bottle or ceramic jar.
- Use castor oil or gingelly oil to make this pickle.
- You can use rock salt or table salt as rock salt gives you nice taste than table salt.
Health Benefits of Raw Mangoes
- It keeps blood pressure under control.
- Good for indigestion and constipation.
- It has anticancer properties.
- Home remedy for morning sickness in pregnancy.