Jigarthanda Recipe Using Badam Pisin|Madurai Jigarthanda
Hi Readers and Friends…Hope everyone is doing good…Thank you so much for keeping this space live. I am back to my blogging after a long break ….I am very much eager in posting and sharing various recipes and I just cant wait to get started ….Wish me luck guys and I am also looking forward to read all my co bloggers posts !
Here I am with yumilicious thirst quencher recipe – Jigarthanda ( A Famous South Indian Drink). Jil Jil Jigarthanda / Jigarthanda means cooling the heart. Jigarthanda is very popular among southern part of TamilNadu especially Madurai and Dindugul. I have tasted this drink in both places but I love the taste of madurai jigarthanda. Here I prepared this jigarthanda using badam pisin which is a gum obtained from the bark of almond tree. This is one of my favourite summer drink and they are natural and healthy too. Speciality of this drink is the addition of badam (Almond) pisin and nanari syrup. Both are very good for our body as they are natural coolant. Making this drink at home is very easy, just soak the almond pisin in water for overnight, next day you can see the magic, it just blooms and doubles in volume. Finally mix everything in a bowl – milk, pisin, nanari syrup, rose syrup, sugar and semiya. Refrigerate this drink and enjoy with a dollop of ice cream on top.
A Famous South Indian Cold Beverage
Preparation Time : 8 hrs
Cooking Time : 30 Mins
Servings : 3
- 2 Tbsp of Badam Pisin (Almond Tree Edible Gum)
- 5 Cups of Full Fat Milk
- 2 Tbsp of Semiya (vermicelli)
- 2 Tbsp of Nannari Syrup
- 3 Drops of Rose Essence
- 1/2 Cup of Sugar or to Taste
- 2 Scoops of Ice Cream ( Here I used Strawberry and Mango Flavour)
- Soak the badam pisin ( Almond Tree Edible Gum) in water for overnight.
- Boil the milk in heavy bottomed pan in a low heat, add sugar and wait until it get reduced to half the quantity. Let it cool down for 1/2 hr and now keep it in refrigerator for 1/2 hr.
- Meanwhile, dry roast the semiya in a sauce pan, add enough water, cook it for 10 mins until the semiya turns soft.
- In a mixing bowl, take badam pisin, add milk, semiya, nanari syrup, rose essence, mix well with spoon.
- Serve it in a glass with a scoop of ice cream on top. Now tasty and creamy jigardhanta drink is ready .
- Garnish it with nuts of your choice.
- You can use condensed milk in addition to whole milk.
- Use sago in place of semiya.
- You can also add basunti to this drink.
- If you don’t get nanari syrup, add rose essence alone.
- Adjust the amount of sugar according to your taste.
Health Benefits of Jigarthanda
- Badam pisin is a natural coolant which helps to reduce the body heat.
- Nannari is an ayurvedic herb, which helps to reduce burning sensation, dysentary and diarhoea, strengthen the immune system and treat urinary infections.