Yesterday I have posted the recipe for cornbread, which is a best accompaniment for vegetarian bean chili recipe. This is very simple and protein packed dish which can be made so quickly with canned beans. If you want to make chili recipe with dried beans, that’s a long and time consuming process in stove top or if you want to make in pressure cooker then it would be easy. But this chili version is easy, healthy and vegetarian. Here in this recipe, onion, garlic, tofu and beans are cooked with spice mix, later it was simmered for few mins to blend the flavors. Finally top it with sour cream or cheese and green onion. Serve it with hot jalapeno cheddar corn bread or tortilla chips. You can have this chili and corn bread for lunch or perfect for cold winter dinner.
Preparation Time : 10 mins
Cooking Time : 15 mins
Makes : 2 Servings
1 Can(15 Oz) of Black Beans
2 Tsp of Olive Oil
8 oz of Tofu, Finely Chopped
1/2 Cup of Onion, Chopped
2 Garlic Cloves
2 Tsp of Chili Seasoning Mix, I used McCormick
1 Tomato, Chopped
Black Pepper and Salt to taste
1/2 Cup of Water
1 Tbsp of Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1 Green Onion, Chopped
- Heat oil in a pan, add chopped onion and garlic, saute this for 2 mins until it turns golden brown color.
- Add tomato, saute this until it turns soft. Add black beans, Tofu, chili powder, black pepper powder and salt, Saute this for 2 mins, add water, reduce the flame, cover and cook it for 10 -12 mins until it turns thick in consistency and stirring occasionally.
- Finally garnish it with chopped green onion and cheddar cheese.
- Enjoy hot, yummy vegetarian black bean chilli with jalapeno cheddar corn bread.
- You can make this chili recipe with other beans like red beans.
- You can add corn or any veggies like squash to this dish.
- You can top it with sour cream in place of cheese.
- Serve it with corn bread or tortilla chips.
Health Benefits of Black Bean
- Black beans are an excellent source of the trace mineral, molybdenum, an integral component of the enzyme sulfite oxidase, which is responsible for detoxifying sulfites.
- Good for diabetes and rich in dietary fiber.
- Lowers cholesterol levels.
- Rich in antioxidants.