Aval / Flattened Rice is a dehusked rice which is flattened into flat light dry flakes. They are easily digestible. Milagu aval recipe / pepper poha recipe is one of our favourite breakfast dish and I often make this for busy weekday breakfast. This milagu aval recipe is very easy which you can prepare in 10 mins with minimum ingredients and it tasted almost like ven pongal and very flavourful because of addition of pepper and cumin powder. You can also make this pepper poha for kids for after school snack as it is very nutritious and healthy. Try this no onion no garlic upma and enjoy it with a cup of coffee. Let us learn how to make milagu aval recipe.
Ingredients for milagu aval recipe
- 1.5 Cup of Aval / Poha / Rice Flakes
- 1/2 Tsp of Grated Ginger
- 3/4 Tsp of Black Pepper Powder
- 3/4 Tsp of Cumin Powder
- Salt to taste
- 1.5 Tsp of Oil
- 1 Tsp of Mustard Seeds
- 1 Tsp of Urad Dal
- 1 Tsp of Chana Dal
- Pinch of Hing
- 1 Sprig of Curry Leaves
- Roasted Peanuts and Cashew Nuts as Needed
Method to make milaku aval recipe
- Soak the aval in water for 2 mins. Drain the water and keep it aside.
- Heat a pan with oil, add mustard seeds, urad dal, chana dal, hing and curry leaves, after it splutters, add ginger, peanuts and cashew nuts, fry for a min. In a medium low flame, add aval (poha), fry for a min, add pepper powder, cumin powder and salt, fry this for a 1-2 mins and turn off the flame.
- You can make it more spicy by adding red chilies and green chilies.
- Use thick poha instead of thin poha.
- Skip the nuts, if you don’t want.
- You can also use red rice flakes in place of white rice flakes.