Sorry, I am bit late to post this recipe. Kuli appam / Sweet appam is a traditional sweet made from rice, jaggery, cardamom, coconut and ghee. In this appam recipe, I have used mashed banana which gives softness and a nice taste to the appam.This nei appam is a easy sweet recipe prepared during festival occasions like karthigai deepam, onam and krishna jayanthi. This appam was soft and delicious and we loved it very much. So do try this unniappam recipe and enjoy :-)
1/2 Cup of Rice Flour
1/2 – 3/4 Cup of Jaggery
2 Tbsp of Grated Coconut
1 Banana (Puvanpalam)
Pinch of Salt
Pinch of Baking Soda (optional)
Ghee/Oil as Needed
- Peel the banana, grind it to a smooth paste along with cardamom in a mixie(blender).
- In a mixing bowl, add rice flour, salt, mashed banana and coconut
- Heat 1/4 cup of water in a pan, add the jaggery to it. Mix well until the jaggery melts completely. Filter this in a strainer to remove the dirt. Pour this into a rice mixture. Add enough water and mix well until you get smooth batter consistency, little thicker than dosa batter.
- Keep the batter untouched for 30 – 60 mins. After 1 hr, add baking soda, mix well.
- Heat ghee / oil in a paniyaram pan, pour spoonful of batter into each hole of the pan. Fry until it turns golden brown color on one side, flip it to other side and cook for few mins.
- Fluffy, soft appam is ready to serve.
- You can deep fry the sweet appam in oil or ghee.
- You can use maida or wheat flour in place of rice flour.
- Banana gives soft texture to the appam.
- You can even add coconut bits instead of grated coconut.
- You can grind jaggery along with banana.
- If you don’t want banana, just skip it.
- Baking soda gives softness to appam.
Tags : Appam Recipe, sweet appam, how to make sweet appam, neiyappam recipe, uniyappam recipe, karthikai deepam recipe, easy recipe for onam, unni appam, easy appam recipe, indian sweets, onam recipe, how to make nei appam kulli appam recipe