Roomali roti or rumali roti is a thin flat bread popular in south Asia. The term “Rumali” means “Hand Kerchief” the name suggests that the roti has to be rolled out as thin as possible. It is made with whole wheat flour and maida (All purpose flour). This roomali roti is soft,yummy in taste and a nice alternative to regular chapathi. It goes well with dal makhani or any side dish of your choice. I had it with kala chana masala. I will be posting the recipe for kala chana in my next post.
Recipe Source : Chef Sanjay Thumma
- 1 Cup of Wheat Flour
- 1 Cup of Maida / All Purpose Flour
- 2 Tbsp of Oil
- 1/2 Cup and 2 Tbsp of Water or as needed
- Salt to taste
Make a paste of ghee and maida
- 1 Tbsp of Ghee/Oil
- 1 Tbsp of Maida/All Purpose Flour
Yield : 10 Roti’s
- In a bowl, mix both the flours, oil, salt and water to make a soft dough. Keep aside for 15-20 mins.
- Make a equally sized balls out of the dough.
- Using rolling pin, roll out 1 ball about 5-6″ in diameter as thin as possible. Add a tsp of ghee(oil)-maida paste to the center of roti and spread it evenly.
- Roll the second roti to the same size of first roti. After that, place the second roti over the first roti. Roll out both the roti together to a very thin roti. Repeat the procedure to the rest of the dough.
- Heat a pan, pan should be super hot, carefully place the roti to the hot pan, cook both the sides quickly.
- Remove from heat and immediately separate two rotis and fold it to triangle shape and keep it in casserole.
- Serve it with dal makhani or chana masala or any side dish of your choice.
- Roll the roti as thin as possible.
- Your dough should be soft, otherwise it makes the roti hard.
- You can make roomali roti in 2 different ways. First method is what I made in this recipe. In second method, invert the shallow pan and heat it, when it is extremely hot, spray some salt water over it and carefully place the thin roti, cook both the sides, do not keep it for a long time, fold into triangle and keep it in casserole. I tried this method last month and here is the pic .
Health Benefits of Whole Wheat
- Rich in fiber, helps in proper functioning of digestive tract and lowers the cholesterol and metabolic syndromes.
- Reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Reversing the weight gain process.
- Lowers the risk of diabetes.
- Excellent laxative properties.
- It has powerful antioxidant, which is vitamin E, good for skins.