Idiyappam is also called Sevai in tamil and string hoppers in English. It is a popular food in Kerala and Tamilnadu, India. Usually everyone makes idiyappam with rice flour, but this idiyappam is made with wheat flour. I have already posted the recipe for Plain / rice idiyappam.. This wheat flour idiyappam is a healthy, delicious and a steamed food, which is very good for our health. My amma makes it often for weekend breakfast. It is favorite food for all ages and even it can be eaten by sick people. This wheat idiyappam must be good and healthy food for diabetic people. You can eat this idiyappam in sweet version or savory version for breakfast or dinner. I already posted the savory version, lemon idiyappam. If you want sweeter version, try it with sweetened coconut milk… Try this wheat(godhumai)sevai / Wheat String hoppers for breakfast and stay healthy..
- 1 Cup of Wheat Flour
- 1 Cup of Water
- 1/2 Tsp of Salt
- 1 Tsp of Oil / Ghee
- 1/2 Cup of Coconut Grating
Yield : 12 Idiyappam
- Heat a pan, fry the whole wheat flour in a medium flame for 5-7 mins until you find the flour turning dark brown at the bottom of pan. Turn off the flame.
- Transfer the flour to the mixing bowl.
- Heat a pan with water, oil/ghee and salt, let it boil for few mins, it should not be too hot.. Turn off the flame. Pour the water to the bowl containing wheat flour. Mix well with a fork/spoon. Let it cool down.
- Knead the flour as you do for chapathi dough. If you feel your dough is dry, you can add 2 Tbsp of Water and knead it again.
- Now it’s time to take idiyappam press, grease well with oil on inside.Take dough in cylindrical form and place it in idiyappam press.
- Hand press the dough into swirls onto the greased idly plates with coconut gratings. Steam this in idly cooker for 10 mins.
- Carefully invert the plate to a casserole.
- Repeat the process for the rest of the dough.
- you can eat idiyappam in sweet version or savory version.
- In Sweet version – Eat idiyappam with coconut milk, sugar and cardamom. Or eat it with ghee, sugar and idiyappam.
- Savory version- you can make lemon idiyappam or idiyappam biryani.
- Always grease idly plates and inner part of the idiyappam press with oil.
- Don’t steam the idiyappam for a long time, as it makes idiyappam rubbery.
- Here I used Aashirvaad atta to make this idiyappam.
Health Benefits of Whole Wheat
- Rich in fiber, helps in proper functioning of digestive tract and lowers the cholesterol and metabolic syndromes.
- Reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Reversing the weight gain process.
- Lowers the risk of diabetes.
- Excellent laxative properties.
- It has powerful antioxidant, which is vitamin E, good for skins.