Pulicha Keerai Thuvaiyal / Gongura chutney is a popular Andhra dish. Gongura leaves are sour in taste and high in vitamins, minerals and anti-oxidants.This is my mom’s recipe.. Gongura chutney tastes great with white rice, idly and dosa. The tangyness of pulichakeerai thogaiyal compliments well with curd rice.
2.5 Cups of Gongura Leaves / Pulicha Keerai / Sorrel Leaves (Tightly Packed)
Salt to Taste
1 Tbsp of Coriander Seeds
1 Tsp of Whole Cumin
7 Red Chillies, Big
1/2 Tsp of Fenugreek
6 Garlic Cloves, Big
1-2 Tbsp of Gingelly Oil / Nallennai
1/2 Tsp of Mustard Seeds
1/2 Tsp of Urad Dal
Pinch of Hing
- Remove the gongura leaves from the stem, wash it in tap water and keep this aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and roast all the ingredients listed under ” To Saute” list, fry for 2-3 mins in a medium flame till color changes and aroma comes. Turn off the flame. Let it cool for 5 mins.
- In the same pan, add gongura leaves, saute this for few mins until leaves shrinks and color changes. Turn off the flame. Let them cool down for 5 mins.
- In a blender, add the roasted spices, grind it to a coarse powder. To the blender, now add sauted gongura leaves and salt, grind it to a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a pan, when it is hot, add mustard seeds, urad dal and hing, when it splutters, add the ground paste, saute well for 2 mins and turn off the flame.
- Gongura chutney / pulichakeerai thugayal is ready to be served with hot white rice. Also it is excellent combination with curd rice.
- It stays good in refrigerator for a week.
- Adjust the amount of red chillies according to your taste.
- You can use green chillies instead of red chillies.
- Adding gingelly oil increases the taste.
- Don’t add water while grinding.
Health Benefits of Gongura Leaves
- It has a excellent source of vitamin A, B9 and C.
- Being rich in oxalic acid, they are not a good choice of people who suffers from rheumatism and kidney stones.
- Powerful laxative properties.
- Low in calories and high in anti-oxidants and fibers.
- It strengthens the functioning of heart and livers.