Butter Beans are legume, they are flat and slightly curved in shape. But they are different from lima beans. You can make lot of dishes from butter beans like butter beans soup, rice and gravy for chapathi. They are very good for our body with lots of vitamin A, C and protein. Here I have used frozen beans which comes in handy on a busy cooking days. If you get dry beans, you need to soak it for overnight and pressure cook on next day. I got this recipe from here. This dish is very flavorful and great in taste. It goes well with rasam rice or curd rice.
2/3 Cup of Butter Beans, Frozen
1 Red Onion, Finely Chopped
1/4 Tsp of Turmeric Powder
Salt to Taste
2 Tbsp of Coconut
1/2 Tbsp of Coriander Seeds
3 Dried Red Chillies, Big
1 Tsp of Whole Black Pepper
1 Garlic Clove
1/2 Tsp of Jeera / Whole Cumin
2 Tsp of Oil
1 Tsp of Mustard Seeds
1 Tsp of Urad Dal
Few Curry Leaves
- In a pan, add butter beans, water and salt, cook for 10 mins in a medium high flame.
- Grind the ingredients listed under “To Grind List” to a fine powder.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, urad dal and curry leaves, when they pops up, add chopped onion, fry for 2 mins until they turn golden brown.
- Add the cooked butter beans, salt and turmeric, fry for another 2 mins.
- Add the ground powder, mix well, sprinkle some water, cover it, simmer it and cook it for 5 mins. Open it, stir well, once it done, turn off the flame.
- Hot butter beans curry is ready. It goes well with rasam rice or curd rice.
- Here I used frozen butter beans, if you have dry one, then you need to soak it for overnight, next day, pressure cook it for 10 whistles and then follow the recipe.
- Adjust the number of red chillies according to your taste.
Health Benefits of Butter Beans
- Good source of protein and has all essential amino acids.
- Rich in antioxidants called anthocyanin.
- Good source of fiber.
- Iron present in the beans helps in the regulation of respiration at the cellular level.
- Rich in folic acids, trace mineral like copper, which helps in reducing the inflammatory conditions like RA(Rheumatoid Arthritis) and molybdenum helps in the detoxification of sulfites from the blood.