Garlic Pickle Recipe / Poondu Oorugai / How to make Garlic Pickle
I always make pickles at home instead of buying them from stores. It is a important condiment in all Indian kitchen. Method of making garlic pickle may vary from one home to other home. Here I made this garlic pickle in south Indian style.This is my mom’s recipe. This pickle is very simple to make, if the garlic is peeled and ready. It goes well with chapathi or any variety rice and yogurt rice.
Also check my other pickle recipes Lemon Pickle and Instant Mango Pickle
1 cup of Big Garlic Cloves, approximately 50 cloves
4 Tsp of Red Chilly Powder
3 Tbsp of Lemon Juice
1/2 Tsp of Turmeric Powder
2 Tsp of Mustard Seeds
1 Tsp of Urad Dal
5 Tbsp of Gingelly Oil / Indian Sesame Oil
1/2 Tsp of Asafoetida
1/2 Tsp of Roasted Fenugreek Powder
Pinch of Jaggery
Salt to Taste
- Heat a pan/skillet, dry roast the 1/2 tsp of fenugreek until it changes color. Powder it in a spice grinder or mortar & pestle.
- Heat a pan /skillet, add mustard seeds, urad dal, asafoetida, after it splutters, add the garlic cloves, fry them for 2-3 mins, in a medium flame, until it turns soft, in a low flame, add turmeric powder, salt and red chilly powder, fry well for 1-2 mins. Do not burn the spices in this stage, be careful !!! Finally add the roasted fenugreek powder and jaggery, mix well and turn off the stove.
- Add lemon juice to the pickle and mix well. Let it cool down for 1-2 hour and then transfer this pickle to the clean, sterilized glass jar.
- Let the pickle be, in shelf for 5 days and then eat it because you are giving time for the garlic to absorb all the spices, oil and salt.By the end of 5th day, flavorful homemade garlic pickle is ready to enjoy with curd (yogurt) rice or any upma or any variety rice dishes or dal rice.
- Refrigerate it, it will stay good for a month.
- Adjust the amount of salt and red chilly powder according to your taste.
- You can also use kosher salt instead of using the normal fine salt.
- More oil you add, the more the shelf life of the pickle.
- You can also add roasted mustard seed powder along with roasted fenugreek powder for a different twist to the taste.
- Always use dry spoon to take out the pickle.
- Lemon juice gives a tangy taste to the dish.
- Always add lemon juice to the pickle, after you turn off the flame.
Health Benefits of Garlic
- Anti-bacterial, anti-clotting and anti-viral properties.
- Treat skin infections.
- Boosts your immune system.
- Lowers the cholesterol, blood pressure and atherosclerosis.
- Good for weight loss.
- Prevents cancer.