kathirikkai poriyal / Sauteed Eggplant – Nepali Style
Egg Plant is also called Brinjal/Melongene. Eggplant is used in cuisine of many countries because everyone love Eggplant next to Potato. Eggplant is one of those unique vegetables – alone it doesn’t taste like much, but cooked with seasonings it takes on a world of flavor. I made this poriyal in Nepali style. In Nepal, they called this dish as Nepali Bhanta Tarkaari. In this they use chinese eggplant, the longer ones. But I used smaller eggplant variety. I got this recipe from my recipe book and the dish tastes awesome. It goes well with curd rice or sambar rice or any variety rice.
2 Tbsp of Vegetable Oil
1/2 Tsp of Cumin Seeds
1 Large Onion, Finely Chopped
2 Tsp of Ginger, Minced
2 Garlic Cloves, Chopped
1/2 Tsp of Turmeric Powder
6 Medium Eggplants / Brinjals, Chopped
1.5 Tsp of Coriander Powder
1 Tsp of Cumin Powder
1/2 Tsp of Red Chilly Powder / Cayeene Pepper
1/2 Tsp of Salt
1/8 Tsp of Black Pepper Powder
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the cumin seeds and fry until it turns brown.
- Add the onion, ginger, garlic and fry this for 2-3 mins until onions soften and changes color.
- Add chopped eggplant/ Brinjal and salt, saute this for few mins.
- Add coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder, red chilly powder, salt and pepper, mix well with brinjal and fry this for few secs and add little water, reduce the heat, cover it and cook it for 7- 10 mins. Once it done, turn off the flame.
- Sauteed eggplant / Kathirikkai Poriyal is ready to eat.
- Best accompaniment are curd rice or sambar rice or rasam rice.
- You can use smaller eggplant or the longer ones for this dish.
- You can add chopped tomato at the end, for a tangy taste.
Health Benefits of Eggplant / Brinjal
- Eggplants provide 2 g of fiber per cup. Fiber helps with digestion and colon health.
- Eggplants also are high in a chlorogenic acid, a powerful antioxidant offering antimicrobial and antiviral activities along with the ability to help lower bad cholesterol levels.