Milagu Jeeragam Sadam / Pepper Cumin Rice – Lunch Box Recipe
|மிளகு சீரகம் சாதம்
Black pepper and Cumin are the most important culinary spices in the world. Black pepper has a century long history of use and cultivation across all the continents of the world. While millions of people consume pepper in their food every day, most do not realize that black pepper is also an important medicinal spice that can be used to treat a wide variety of physical symptoms and diseases. Most important is black pepper should be consumed safely in moderate quantities. Adding pepper along with cumin or turmeric is a great natural way to enhance overall body health. Black pepper stimulates the taste buds in such a way that an alert is sent to the stomach to increase the hydrochloric acid secretion, thereby improving the digestion. Whereas the cumin boosts the power of liver, thereby it detoxifies the body.
Coming to this recipe, it can be done in minutes, easy, flavorful and a healthy dish. Also good for cough/cold/sore throat. This is my mom’s recipe and this rice dish is prepared with black pepper, cumin, curry leaves and rice. The sharp spiciness from pepper corns, aromatic curry leaves and flavorful cumin along with rice gives an irresistible authentic flavor.
To Make A Pepper Mix
2 Tsp of Black Pepper Corns
1 Tsp of Cumin, Whole
1 Tbsp of Toor Dal / Pigeon Dal/ Thuvaram Paruppu
1 Red Chilly, Big
2 Tsp of Gingelly Oil / Indian Sesame Oil
1 Tsp of Mustard Seeds
1/2 Tsp of Urad Dal
Pinch of Hing/ Asafoetida / Perungayam
2 Sprig of Curry Leaves
1 Tsp of Clarified Butter / Ghee
2 Cups + 1/4 Cup of Cooked Rice
Salt to taste
To make a pepper mix
- Heat a pan over medium heat, when hot, add pepper corns, cumin, toor dal and red chilly. Roast it without oil, stirring continuously, until it turns to light brown color and the aroma comes, for about 3-5 mins. Turn off the flame. Let it cool down for 5 mins.
- Grind this spices to a fine powder in a blender/ mixie or spice grinder.
- I used only 5 tsp of pepper powder for this rice.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat, when hot, add mustard seeds, urad dal, asafoetida (hing) and curry leaves. After mustard seeds splutters, urad dal changes color, turn off the flame.
Mixing of spice mix and rice
- In a wide bowl, add the tempering items, over that add the boiled rice, top of the rice, add 5 Tsp of pepper mix, salt and ghee. Fluff the rice gently with a spoon. Do not break the rice while mixing. Check the salt and add accordingly.
- Transfer to the serving dish and serve it with potato chips or any vegetable kootu.
- Adjust spicyness according to your taste. I used only 5 tsp of pepper mix.
- Do not use pre – ground pepper powder, use fresh pepper corns.
- Store the remaining powder in an airtight container. Whenever you crave for this rice, just mix it with rice and ghee.
- Do not break the rice while mixing.
- Adding ghee/ clarified butter gives a nice flavor to the dish.
- You can add bengal gram/chenna dal while tempering.
- Adding cashews gives a rich taste to the rice.
Health Benfits of Pepper and Cumin
- Good for digestion, mental function and respiration.
- Strengthens the immune system.
- Rich in iron, so good for blood health.
- Healthy herbs for a women of all ages.
- Anti-carcinogenic properties.
- Boosts the metabolic rate.
- Aids in digestion.
- Helps to fight cancer, fight tooth decay and good for weight loss.
- Powerful antioxidant and natural anti depressant.
- Relieves cough and cold
- Reduces inflammation.
- Good for skin.