Urad dal chutney recipe / ulutham paruppu chutney / ulundhu chutney is popular in Tamilnadu. Main ingredients for this urad dal chutney are urad dal/black gram along with onion, coconut, red chillies and other seasonings. Urad dal and other ingredients are oil roasted and ground to a fine paste and finally seasoning added to it. Uludham paruppu thuvaiyal goes well with idly or dosa or paniyaram.
3 Tbsp of Split Urad Dal (White)
1 Medium Size Red Onion, Diced
1 Tbsp of Dried Coconut Flakes
Tamarind (Blueberry Size)
2-3 Red Chillies
1 Sprigs of Curry Leaves
Pinch of Asafoetida
Salt to taste
2 Tsp of Oil ( Canola/ vegetable oil)
1 Tsp of Oil ( Canola/ vegetable oil)
1/2 Tsp of Mustard
1/2 Tsp of Urad Dal
- Heat oil in a pan, add urad dal and roast until it turns to slightly golden brown color. Transfer this to a plate.
- Heat oil in a same pan, add red chillies, asafoetida and onion, saute this for a min. Then add dried coconut flakes, tamarind, curry leaves and salt, saute this for 2 mins. Turn off the flame. Transfer this to a plate. Let it cool for 5 mins.
- Transfer this urad dal-onion mixture to a blender/ mixie, grind it to a smooth paste. Transfer this to a serving bowl.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and urad dal, after it splutter, transfer this to a serving bowl containing chutney. Mix well. Urad dal chutney is ready.
- It goes well with idly or dosa or paniyaram
- You can use black whole urad dal instead of white split urad dal.
- You can use one tomato for extra tangy taste.
- Use fresh grated coconut in place of dried coconut flakes.
- Adjust the number of red chillies according to your taste.
Health Benefits of Urad Dal
- Urad dal provides energy to the body.
- Rich in protein.
- Enhances digestion because of high in fiber content.
- Boost heart health because of high in magnesium level.
delicious looking chutney, one moe to add in the list.
Nice Chutney Gayathri. This is something new for me to try out.
Healthy and yummy chutney..
delicious chutney…urad dal chutney is very new to me:)
Love this chutney Gayathri 🙂 Really good with dosas and idlis 🙂
Chutney looks yummy 🙂
I love this chutney very much Gayathri, looks very yummy…
chutney looks tempting and awesome clicks…
Healthy yummy chutney.. One of ma favs 🙂
love to have this with dosa or idli
This looks nice and lovely presentation…. Y dont u gimme dat dosa and chutney to eat.. Will keep visiting u often….
Do visit mine as well
Oh I am drooling here looking at that chutney and DOSA.. so tempting!
chutney looks tempting !
Totally new recipe to me.. Very healthy and nutritious Gayathri 🙂
I love all kinds of chutney and I can’t wait to try this one. Love this healthy Split Urad Dal chutney!
Comments are closed.