Sago payasam / Javvarisi payasam is one of my favourite and also very easy to make payasam during festival occasions. You can make this sago payasam either in stove top or pressure cooker method. This javvarisi payasam is a classic sweet in India made on all important occasions like diwali and weddings. Try this sago payasam (sabudana kheer) and enjoy with your family. Wish you all a very happy “Tamil New Year “
Ingredients for sago payasam
- 1/4 Cup of Sago / Javarisi/ Tapioca
- 2 and 1/2 Cups of Milk
- 1/4 Cup + 2 Tbsp of Sugar
- 1 Cup of Water
- 2 Cardamoms
- 1 Tsp of Ghee
- 7 – 10 Roasted Cashews
Method for javvarisi payasam
- Soak sago / javarisi for 1/2 – 1 hr and drain the water.
- Heat a pan with ghee, roast the cashews and keep it aside.
- Heat water in a heavy bottomed vessel, add the soaked sago and cook till it becomes soft.
- Add milk to it, let it come to rolling boil and simmer it for 10-15 mins.
- Add sugar and cardamom, bring it to boil again.
- Finally add cashews and give a quick stir. Switch off the stove.
- Serve it in a bowl, either hot or cold.
- You can add cream for a thick version of payasam.
- Adjust sweetness according to your taste.
- You can use either sugar or jaggery for sweetness.
- You can add saffron for extra flavor.
- Garnish it with raisins or almonds or pistachios.
Health Benefits of Sago
- Sago provides energy to body as it has carbohydrates content.
- Sago is also low in fat.
- Traditional Indian medicine uses sago in combination with rice to cool the body. Therefore, sago can function as an herbal remedy to treat ailments resulting from too much heat, such as the production of excess bile.
tags : sago payasam,javvarisi payasam,sabudana kheer recipe,javvarisi payasam recipe,sago payasam recipe,how to make javvarisi payasam,how to make sago payasam recipe,sago kheer,easy payasam recipes,tamil new year recipes,how to make sago kheer,prepare sago payasam