Bok choy is a part of cabbage family. I got this baby bok choy from chinese store. I always add this green while making fried rice. For a change, I want this green to try with dal, it tasted absolutely divine with a tsp of ghee. This dish is often served over rice or roti
3 Baby Bok Choy
To Pressure Cook
1/4 Cup of Toor Dal
1/2 Tsp of Turmeric Powder
Pinch of Asafoetida
1/2 Tsp of Salt
1 Tsp of Oil
2 Cups of Water
2 Tsp of oil
1/2 Tsp of Mustard Seeds
1/2 Tsp of Urad Dal
2 Red Chillies
1/4 Cup of Chopped Red Onion
1 Tbsp of Coconut Flakes
Few Curry Leaves
- Soak toor dal in enough water for 1/2 hr. Drain the water and wash the dal in cold tap water. Keep this aside.
- In a pressure cooker, add toor dal, turmeric powder, oil, asafoetida, salt and water, cook this for 5-6 whistles. Switch off the stove.
- Heat oil in a pan, add red chillies (break it), mustard seeds, urad dal and curry leaves. After they crackles, add onion, fry for 1-2 mins until they turn golden brown.
- Add coconut flakes, saute this for 1 min.
- Add chopped bok choy, saute this for 1-2 mins.
- Add the cooked dal to a pan, cook it for 2 mins. Check the salt and switch off the stove.
- Hot bok choy dal is ready.
- Serve this dal with Potato Peas Fry or Colocasia Fry
- You can follow the same recipe with spinach or any greens.
- You can enrich the taste by adding 1tsp of ghee.
- You can also add lemon juice while serving.
Health Benefits of Bok Choy
- Bok choy is an excellent source of vitamin A, B, C and K.
- Also good source of anti-oxidants.
- Moderate source of minerals like calcium, phosphorous, potassium, iron and magnesium .
- Great source of folic acid and fiber.